Emerald Crab Question

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I picked up 2 small emerald crabs yesterday to help with a little lawn maintenance. I currently have one in the tank. Well when i put the little guy in he ate like a mad man, like he had never eaten before - it was really funny.

Well this morning, one of the little guy has lst both of his pinchers/claws......so sad.

I was wondering if they will grow back or if he is a goner. if he is SOL, to I put him down since he can't feed? If so, how?

Thanks!

DaveK

Yes, crabs can regenerate claws, but you may need to isolate it so what ever got it in the first place will not get it again.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Here is a pic:
emerald.jpg

How will he eat?

soco

Wow that's bad luck. When they only loose one they can still few.d for themselves but idk if he will be able to eat or fend off others with out either claw. Have u seen the second one? I have had one emerald crab attack. And kill others

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hey Soco,
I found the second one.....he is ok. I'm concerned about how this guy will feed himself. I'm going to try and tweezer feed him some stuff but if he really wants to eat, he can stuff his face in the algae like he was bobbing for apples!

Fingers crossed.

soco

Ya I would chop a cocktail shrimp into tiny pieces and c if he can eat that. If not try something like frozen plankton or very small mysis or brine

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Zerosum

I know this thread had been dead a while but I'm having a similar problem and was hoping someone could help.
My emerald crab molted today (her second in the two months I've had her) and she lost both her claws and only has 3 legs on one side and 2 on the other. She's moving about the tank but I can't tell if she's eating. I see her mouth working but I 'm not sure.
Has anyone had success hand feeding a clawless crab before? Will she starve to death? Will her tank mates eat her? Would it be best to put her out of her "misery"?
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated...