Electricity in tank, will coral be OK?

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
I had one of my heaters short out. Apparently during the water change, one of my heaters fell in and was flooded. (Duh, my fault for buying a crappy heater) Once I got it out of the refuge, and got it into the trash, I noticed my Xenia was closed up. No biggie, right... I was looking for a way to get rid of it... Then I noticed my bubble anemone, green star polyps, branching frogspawn, shrooms, zoos and ricordia were all shriveled as well! Yikes! It has been 30 mins and they are still looking bad. The funny thing is that my pink pom-pom xenia is still OK. The temp was at a steady 78 degrees (even during the mishap).
Will they recover?

ScottT1980

I don't know, I might consider running some carbon and even thinking about doing a water change. You can't repair any of the damage that might have been caused by electricity but you can try to ammend damage caused by what could have possibly been in the heater (some sort of heavy metal or contaminant).

Just a thought

Take er easy
Scott t.

mwrager

I don’t think there should be any long term affect. The coral should bounce back and be as healthy as ever. Do you have a grounding rod in the reef tank. If not you may want to invest in one, just incase this happens again.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
OK guys I am starting to freak out now.
This morning I can tell the water is a little cloudy. The xenia has turned white and is realy limp. Most coral is still shrivled up, but then again it is still morning. I didn't have any carbon to run, since I left it at work. I am going to grab it today and try running it in my filter. I did a 5 gal water change yesterday, should I do an emergency 10 gal change today?

SaltyQueen

Another water change wouldn't hurt, & like Scott said, may help to remove any possible contaminants, or at least dilute them more. Definitely run the carbon as soon as you get it though. Keep us posted as to what happens!

wooddood

the wood dude
hope all turns out ok,were here for ya.keep us posted.did'nt we just have a talk about grounding probes?

Pro_builder

I would definately run the carbon, as others have said, as soon as possible. To rid the tank of anything that is contaminating the tank. ie. metals, or chemical warfare possibly fro mthe injured corals.

I would also get a GFCI oulet or Breaker in you tank electrical setup.

Also run a ground probe, just for extra insurance.

Keep us posted on what you have for an outcome.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
OK. Some things are opening up again... But not by much. I had my wife run out to the fish store and get some carbon bags. She dropped a few in just a few minutes ago. I will keep you all posted.
Thanks!

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Did a quick 10gal change in the tank (40gal with 10gal fuge/sump). Going to watch the progress and may do another 10gal change again tomorrow. The Xenia is still pretty white and limp. Shrooms are half open and quite small. My favorite gorgonian has its polyps retracted and so do my GSP. The fish look fine and aren't breathing heavy at all. Hopefully things will pan out well for us!

C

ScottT1980

I am optomistic C, hopefully everything will pull through. The worst that could happen is that you lose some xenia (and of course the heater) and hey, it sounds like you aren't going to mind that so much.

Good Luck!

Take er easy
Scott T.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Thanks a ton everyone!
It looks like the extent of my loss will be a few limpets. The Xenia took a lot of damage and has been reduced to pink slimey stubs. I am not too worried about that since a) they will recover, and b) there was so dang much of it!
The survivors include:
Yellow Tail Damsel
Maroon Clown
Six-Line Wrasse
Three Blue-Green Chromis
numerous hermits
Cleaner shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp
SerpentStar

Trumpet Coral
Kenya Tree Coral
Ricordia
Bubble Anemone
Branching Frogspawn
Toadstool leather
numerous 'shrooms
Gorgonians
a large rock of Zoos

All in all, I am happy with this outcome and REALLY appreciate your support!
-Lucky

mwrager

I seen this on the Tunze site and thought of you

http://www.tunze.com/usa/index.html?lang=en-gb

Fault Current Alarm 7609; 115V/60Hz $US 69,73

The fault-current alarm will release an acoustic alarm as soon as leakage currents or fault currents occur in the aquarium. Usually it will react before a residual-current-operated circuit breaker located in the aquarium shuts down the entire electrical system. Thus, a damage can be recognised and remedied before causing a danger. Alarm release over approx. 24 V.

7609_000