*~DOW~* DIY reefing projects

uclacsnerd

yes ive been to one of those woodworking expos where the pros show you how to make cabinets and such.. they make it look so easy.. i think part of it is having the right tools (which I dont by a long stretch), but it definately helps when you do it everyday.

let me tell you though.. there is nothing quite as nerve racking as running the last edge of completley finished panel door through a router using your homemade feather board!! :explode: :columbo:

uclacsnerd

by the way, I was looking through your gallery Pro_Builder and I really like what you did with your stand as well. Looks great.

Pro_builder

I don't like mine, it is too plain, but was built in 2 days from start to finish, including setting the tank on top of it, stained and varnished.
But, Thanks for the compliments.

Pro_builder

I will try to do a set by step of the next Stand and Canopy setup that I build. I am really getting to the point were I want a bigger tank. :rolleyes: I just have to get moved first, then tackle that project.
:D

Cosmic

Here are a few of my DIY projects for the system.

The first is the closed loop I built for circulating water. The pipe is 1" and running on a Little Giant 2 that I had laying around.
The tall riser is unscrewable to prime the pump initially with water. That has been the only time I've needed to take that cap off, even after power outages. The design incorporates dozens of 1/8" holes along a 5" length of 1" pvc for an intake. This feature keeps snails, fish, nudibranchs or even cukes from getting stuck to the intake and perishing.

11closed_Loop_stack.jpg

This next one is a Calcium reactor built by a friend of mine which now runs my whole system (~125 gallons). It uses a 4" diameter pvc pipe, ~30" tall. It features a passive intake line from my return pump, re-circulates using a Mag2 pump, and can hold about 5# of media (which has lasted me 7 months so far on this SPS system). It also has an acrylic window for monitoring media.

11reactor.jpg