Don't laugh too hard.

I'm working on converting my 75G FOWLR (with two corals) into a FO tank. My question is where can I get some of those fake plastic rocks to put in it? I could leave the live rock in but it seems its just adding to my algae problem. Yea I know there's benefits to live rock, but for this tank I'm just going for aesthetics.

Val

hmmmm, algae grows on fake rocks too ya know? I would go for the real rock atleast it'll help filtrate.

Yea... more expensive than live rock :(

I was hoping someone would have an idea how to either make some or get some cheap.

If you have some cash to spare instant reef is an incredible company for artificial corals. the artificial corals look very similar to the real thing and they are made to have some flexibility (made with resin (sp?) so when you have them with flow they look gorgeous! I personally know someone how bought a 6' arch of all those synthetic corals and it looked incredible.
here's the link if you're interested:
Artificial Coral Reef Aquarium Decoration for Saltwater Fish Aquarium, Marine Fish Tank. Artificial Fake Coral Reef Aquarium Decor for Saltwater Fish Aquarium, Marine Fish Tank, Freshwater Fish Artificial Fake Coral Reef Aquarium Decor

your going out of your way for something that will later end making you maintain your tank more. Live rock serves as filtration and hiding spots. If you want less algae less light and more flow. GL

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Party, you should try making some of that agrocrete rock or whatever it is called, you can make caves and things that sit up off the bottom of the tank so flow still gets between that and the sand bed also you don't loose the filtration as long as you keep it porse.

This is a DIY right up your alley and you don't have to make it look like typical liverocks there is no limitation or right or wrong way to sculpt them so you can get the look you want for next to nothing except your time.

chipmunkofdoom2

your going out of your way for something that will later end making you maintain your tank more. Live rock serves as filtration and hiding spots. If you want less algae less light and more flow. GL

+1. Nothing about live rock makes it more susceptible to growing algae than anything else. Algae grows because there are nutrients in the water, period. If you use fake rock, it'll grow on the fake rock just as well.

I'd also argue a FO tank needs rock more than a reef.. the bioload for the large messy eaters usually found in FO tanks is substantial, and you need adequate biological filtration.