DIY HID xenon reef light

truspeeder205

Im thinking about jumping on the band wagon with these i too am also a tech at a dealership and have tons of ballasts lieing around id love to try something like this just for the fun of building it

hey, great news, its nice to still find people that are interested in this technology, im currently building a 48 led module for my tank, but im still going to be using my xenon system that i currently use in my sump, for an algae scrubber and the new refugium, the shimmer and light it produces is very similar to the metal halides and i still think this types of lights have some good things to offer against leds, specially in nano and pico setups...
keep us posted...

makoboat20c

Here is my attempt at a DIY HID Light Fixture. Made it out of a stainless steel mud pan, and roof metal flashing for reflector and heat shield. Will be powering this with a couple 6A 12V power supplies. Total cost of project was about 70 dollars.

IMG_2382.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2385.jpg

hey great job, i still use those in my sump, and i am planning to use them, although i went on the LED road for my DT, and got 108 cree's for my 150 build, i still think that there is a good market and placement for xenon lights, in the sumps or nanos for example, they are way cheaper than leds, cheaper than MH and use little wattage, (30, 55) and what i think is the best feature, they are waterproof, so they are perfect for the sump...
like jski711 said, show us some pics with the lights on, also what color temperature are they...