DIY 55 gallon tank stand and canopy

SGTSLuGG

Hi Everyone,
I've read through a few of the past threads and have seen a lot of great looking DIY stands that are cheaper and look much better than my store bought stand (I don't have a canopy). I'm planning on building it in about a month or so, and want to start the planning of it right now. I was wondering if you anyone out there has the measurements and supplies needed to make my own stand and canopy? I'm no contractor, but do consider myself pretty handy. So I'm just trying to put a list together of what I need - I guess my main questions are:
1. Is there a type of wood that I should get that is stronger than others? I've read Oak in some posts..
2. What should the cuts on the wood be for a 55 gallon? It's dimensions are 48 wide x 12½ deep x 21 tall
3. Are is there a certain type of screw that I will need for this job?

If anyone has any ideas or specs of different designs, that would be great!

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Ryan

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hmm, there are a lot of way to do it. Oak is what I used. People use expensive screws but in all honesty, the stand will rot or you'll leave the hobby before regular screws cause you issues. I'm no carpenter but people I've seen take the frame it, skin it approach. You can look at my 120 and see my stand, canopy. I love it but had it built but design wise it may help.

Here is a bump if nothing else!