Diving in the Florida Keys.

mwrager

Input needed from people that have been diving in the Florida Keys. This is the first time that I have been diving in Florida and I would like some help from people that have been diving before. The dive shop that I have contacted to take use out has a several places they go and I have paid for 4 dive trips for a total of 8 dives. I can get more dive trips later but I need to book the places soon to ensure that I get what I want. To let you know I will be diving with 2 of my 3 children and one friend, the 3 only have Open Water certification, so the deepest we can go is 60 feet. Here is a list of places I can dive in Florida. The dive trip is from June 4 to June 10.
• S. South Ledges: (15’-35’) Towering coral ridges mark this spur and groove reef area. Staghorn, Elkhorn, and Star corals provide shelter for a colorful array of marine life.
• Anchor Chain: (15’-30’) An abandoned anchor chain and concrete mooring blocks, from the original light ship marking Elbow Reef can be found here in 25’ of clear water. Good visibility and abundant fish and coral make this a favorite spot among divers.
• Train Wheel Wreck: (15’- 30’) Another area of wreckage. This wreck was once a supply barge carrying train wheels for the Flagler railroad. Huge formations of Elkhorn coral shelter schools of Goatfish, Snapper and Porkfish.
• Benwood Wreck: (20’-50’) Key Largo’s most famous WWII wreck. This 285’ freighter was accidentally rammed at night while running with its lights off to avoid German U-Boats. Her hull now lies in a barren section of reef line. Goliath Grouper and many other large groups of fish now inhabit this wreck, which makes it a spectacular backdrop for underwater photography.
• French Reef: (15’-40’) Astonishing reef that provides a dramatic maze of underwater canyons, cliffs and gullies. Its swim-through caves provide shelter for many large fish, Grouper and Green Moray eels commonly frequent this sight.
• The Fingers: (15’-35’) Visit this classic spur and groove reef formation. Clear, sand bottomed channels follow towering coral walls. Known for its exceptional visibility, this site is one of the crew’s favorites.
• South Ledges: (15’-35’) Towering coral ridges mark this spur and groove reef area. Staghorn and Star corals provide for an array of marine life.
• Molasses Reef: (8’- 40’) The “Big Mo”. Probably one of the most famous reefs in the Keys. It’s a maze of coral channels and canyons that are populated with a wide diversity of marine life. Large Pelagics, such as Turtles and Spotted Eagle Rays are frequent visitors.
• Minnow Caves / North Dry Rocks: (15’-25’) Coral arches and swim-throughs are characteristic of this beautiful reef. During the summer and early fall, clouds of tiny silver-sided minnows crowd a volcano shaped swim-through creating a halo of silver. Great dive for photographers.
• Carysfort Light: (8’-75’) The northern most reef system in the sanctuary, this is a sloping wall of fascinating coral formation. Elkhorn and Staghorn corals give way to Brain and Sheet corals as the reef descends to a sandy bottom. Large Pelagics are often seen. Snorkelers may swim toward the lighthouse tower over the shallow area of Elkhorn Gardens.
• South Carysfort: (8’-25’) Very popular with both divers and snorkelers. This is one of the most striking coral gardens in the sanctuary. Winding and maze-like canyons of high profile corals provide shelter for hundreds of tropical fish.
• City of Washington: (20’-30’) Just north of Elbow Reef lies the remains of The City of Washington. This wreck is known for its great visibility, and its abundant and friendly fish population. The scattered wreckage provides an excellent backdrop for underwater photography.
• Horseshoe: (8’-25’) A perfect site for viewing and photographing brilliantly colored corals and tropical fish.
• Mike’s Wreck: (15’-30’) This low profile, 300’ steam freighter sank in 1920, has a nice debris field, and is a haven for various sea creatures
• N. North Dry Rocks: (15’-35’) A dramatic example of high profile spur & groove coral formations. One of the crew’s favorite diving holes.

SZHTTM

I have been to most of those sites, and they all have something unique and beatiful to offer. But if I were to rate the top 5, I would say:
1) Molasses Reef
2) Benwood Wreck
3) French Reef
4) N. North Dry Rocks
5) South Carysfort

Have a great time!!!!

Thanks and Have fun!!!;
:thumber:

blue_eyes53813

OHH I am so jealous. I lived in Key West for 2 years while my ex was in the Navy. I didnt do much diving but miss the beautiful area ALOT. Have FUN. :)

mwrager

Well everyone my diving is done for the summer. I will be posting some pics of the places I went and things I seen. Here is where I went thia summer, Key Largo, Costa Rica, Cozumel, Channel Islands, and San Diego. 5 trips in 9 1/2 weeks, over 1000 pictures.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I like the sound of the fingers...seems like it would be a stunning view.

B