Did my cleaner shrimp die of old age?

I woke up this morning to find a dead cleaner shrimp laying on a rock. I am certain that it wasn't a molt, because it has eyes and a stomach. The day before, it was dancing all over my new BTA. Could the BTA have stung it to death? Or did it simply die of old age? It is about two inches long, not including its antennae. My parameters are all perfectly fine.

Oxylebius

Their life expectancy is about 3 years. Not sure how long you had it or how old it was when you got it. All of mine have lived about 3 years or a little longer in my tank over the years.

Oxylebius

Sounds like you had it for a month. In that time did you feed it or is it in a large enough tank where there is enough food to scavenge? Are you doing regular water changes or dosing so that there is the right amount of iodine and other water parameters in the tank for it to molt? These are only a couple of factors that could lead to death outside of disease or old age.

Uncle99

Oxy, above, right on the money with advice.
I support the use of iodine (iodide) (better and safer) to .03-.06 in all mixed tanks with soft corals and shrimps, specifically gorgonians, leathers and shrimp. Some believe the iodide also aids in diease prevention, and helps shrimps shed their molt.

Just keep in mind that it is a disinfectant, and must be managed to stay in the range, excesssve amounts can damage or kill. Iodine is a bit dangerous to use as it can build up in the tank, iodide is a safer way.

Super advice Oxy, as always, like to read your posts!