Did I do it right?

chud

I am on my first tank. i have 46 gallon with fully cured fiji, aragonite substrate bottom, remora skimmer, purple tang, false clown, and purple pseudochromis. All my levels appear to be right on with an SG 1.021. Problem is my substrate is starting to vary in coloration. Is this normal?

johnlewis

Does it appear to be covered with a coat of slime ? What color are you seeing ? Did you use RO water to start ? What is your Calcium level ?

mwrager

I would raise my SG to 1.024 or 1.025. To me that is to low. Raise it slowly.
Like johnlewis said Does it appear to be covered with a coat of slime ? What color are you seeing ? Did you use RO water to start ? What is your Calcium level ?
Do you have a pic?

Craig Manoukian

Welcome Chud.

Not to be an alarmist, but your tank, unless 48" in length, will not provide sufficient lateral swim room for the Purple Tang.

The lenght of time your system has been up and running would be of great help. Could be a normal red cyanobacteria stage, but without more information, just a guess.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

ReefLady

Staff member
Another question... the substrate, is that crushed coral or aragonite sand? CC would be big chunks, and not a very good idea. I would go with no substrate before using crushed coral, just causes problems in the long run.

T

mnreefman

i agree with the all above statements... algae and diatoms are a part of the tank maturation process, give us some more infor pertaining to age, lights, filters, substrate ect ect... and welcome to reef sanctuary

chud

Thanks for all the replies. I have had the tank up and running for 1 month. The aragonite is sand not coral. I used R.O> water but I am begining to think my filter was bad. I am in the East valley of AZ. It appears to be brown algae, because it looks to have spread to my live rock. Is this too early to make that assumption? If it is brown algae what can I do? I have got purified water curing to perform water changes to get suspected R.O water out. The reason my salinity is at 1.021 is because all local dealers are at 1.021 and I was given the advice of keeping with them for ease of stress on fish.

chud

As for the lighting system I have a coralife tank light with 2x atinic/ 2x 10,000K light. The atinic is on a 10 hour timer, amd the 10,000K come on for 4 hours to simulate midday. Is this good?

Craig Manoukian

Three fish in one month is a little too fast as far as stocking your tank. You have not given your bacteria time to increase and handle the bioload. This is probably resulting in a nitrate buildup as your dentrification is behind the bioload. Diatoms, algae blooms, and red cyanobacteria thrive on the nitrates.

It is better to add fish very slowly to allow your tank to properly mature. While diatoms, algae blooms, and cyano are a regular part of the tank maturation process overstocking will only exacerbate the situation.

Go slow and let it grow.

HTH:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

Scooterman

I've heard fish will have less chance of getting sick or something at lower SG but it wouldn't hurt them to acclimate them to a higher SG. Your lighting seems to be good if it is VHO or PC I'm guessing. Your LR, how much do you have?
Do you plan on having more than just fish? Post some of your measurments and with what type & manufacturer of the kits. The more information you post the better chance we can provide you with sound help. The bloom seems normal at just on month so whatever you do don't panic!

Cougra

I agree that you are having a diatom bloom in your tank at the moment. It's a perfectly normal part of the maturation process. The brown film you see covering everything are dead diatoms that have fallen out of the water column. I recommend that you do a light vacuuming of them to remove as much as possible so they don't decay in your tank.

Welcome to the saltwater world and reef sanctuary! You've just embarked on a rewarding, draining (financially and emotionally), addictive journey!

JennM

Diatoms -- totally normal and expected and harmless (even if unsightly) for this stage of your tank's development. Just bear with it, stir up the sand a bit, and clean the glass, and this too shall pass.

Jenn