detaching coral matting

theDeedo

So I am trying to frag all the zoas in my tank, and I have to work quick because zoas usally grow on an encrusting mat. So I am trying to do it while they are still on their plugs, but I have 3 colonys that seem to have attached themselfs to rock. Not to bad though, if I tug on it I am sure it will come off. But is this safe? with peeling the zoa's mat off of my rock work hurt the zoa or encourage growth?

GlassMunky

Whatever you do, BE CAREFULL!!! fraging zoas is somewhat dangerous. you gotta watch out for palytoxin.....

theDeedo

you know I have heard that once before a long time ago. what exactly am I looking for, and what are the effects?

I guess I should be wearing my gloves and washing my hands,....and keepng them away from my mouth :barf:

you can also use stony coral cutters to cut the rock, that way there is les of a chance of getting their toxins on you, asuming you do this underwater. well whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Varga

You can just use your finger nail to peel them off and glue them elsewhere. it'll hurt them a bit but they recover fast

catran

I use a scalpel and try to cut down into the plug. I had one (plug) disintergrate on me and that was difficult to glue. I just fragged a large colony of green nukes and the rock it was on was very jagged. I couldn't get to much of the mat, but I just cut as close as possible and glued the polyps. They were opened in about 3 hours. I always use gloves, and if I didn't wear glasses I would put work glasses on. Polyps have been known to squirt also.