'deep Sea Divers' Co-host Norwood Dies

ReefLady

Staff member
' 'DEEP SEA DIVERS' CO-HOST NORWOOD DIES

December 12, 2003

" MICHAEL Norwood, the co-host of History Channel's "Deep Sea Divers," died last Saturday while on assignment for the show. He was 36.

Norwood and co-host John Chatterton, along with director of photography Danny Crowell, were diving down 250 feet for the wreck of the World War II ship USS Perry off the island of Angaur in the Philippines.

Norwood "began having difficulty breathing" as the divers descended toward the wreck and was unable to be rescuscitated, according to The History Channel.

"Michael was the consummate professional. We are honored that he was part of our team," said History Channel executive producer Carl Lindahl.

"Michael brought to the series a rare combination of talent - not only was he an experienced diver and former Scotland Yard detective, he was a superb host."

During the first two days of diving, the crew reached the wreck, but couldn't film because of strong currents, "Deep Sea Detectives" producer Christopher Cassel told The Pacific Daily News. "

>Full Article<

Craig Manoukian

Could his reserve tank been out of air as well? Would love to read more of the follow-up to this real tragedy. My prayers are with his family.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

Maxx

I doubt if his spare was empty...its something you check prior to going down. I suspect he was suffering from nitrogen narcosis, (nitrogen levels in the blood reach a level that causes effects similar to intoxication. hallucinations are common, as is altered mental status.) also known as rapture of the deep. However these guys are pretty experienced divers, one of them would be able to check his spare tank, or get it going for him. Maybe he had heart problems that might not have shown up until he was under pressure. We won't really know until the autopsy is done, and results are announced.
This is sad....
Nick