Crocea clam advice/opinion!

FishinBob

Well noticed today at lights out clam doesn't close up and shell seems "open". Reacts to light or movement quickly and extends the mantle fully it seems but looks "gaping" kinda let me know what you think?
90 gallon
Lighting 84 LED DIY fixture 60 and 80 lens
On sandbed on top of rock
Temp 77.5-79
Ph. 8.2
Alk. 8.9
Cal. 490
Mag. 1360

Nitrates 1
Phos .05 (red sea kit doesn't always work)

c6e4e412-4178-2da8.jpg

FishinBob

I think around 3 months or so give or take... It was aggravated by the frog spawn at one point but I moved and trimmed!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
There is a clam that doesn't close completely. However as long as it reacts to light n extends during the day he's just comfy. My monster clam never shuts.

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
It's gaping a bit but this is common in Croceas and not necessarily a sign of stress, what are your parameters ? What type of lighting are you using and how many watts ? How long has this tank been setup ? Is this photo before or after you moved/trimmed the frogspawn ? Have you checked for pyramid snails ?

FishinBob

It's gaping a bit but this is common in Croceas and not necessarily a sign of stress, what are your parameters ? What type of lighting are you using and how many watts ? How long has this tank been setup ? Is this photo before or after you moved/trimmed the frogspawn ? Have you checked for pyramid snails ?

Params

Temp 78.5
Ph. 8.1-8.2
Ammonia. 0
Nitrates. .25
Phos. .08
Alk. 9.0
Cal. 460
Mag. 1380

Diy Cree fixture 84 3w LEDs nearly 250watts led
Tanks about 8-9 months young
Checked for pyramid snails didn't see any but read they can be very small!!
Photo is after I moved the frogspawn!
It seems a bit better since I installed the mp40 maybe it was lack of flow I dunno thanks for replying I'll get another picture tonight

FishinBob

Params

Temp 78.5
Ph. 8.1-8.2
Ammonia. 0
Nitrates. .25
Phos. .08
Alk. 9.0
Cal. 460
Mag. 1380

Diy Cree fixture 84 3w LEDs nearly 250watts led
Tanks about 8-9 months young
Checked for pyramid snails didn't see any but read they can be very small!!
Photo is after I moved the frogspawn!
It seems a bit better since I installed the mp40 maybe it was lack of flow I dunno thanks for replying I'll get another picture tonight

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Buddy that clam looks happy as a.... well happy as a clam.

..........rarely am I speechless

triniwasp

I also have a crocea issue, I think. Tank's running great all parameters that I've measured are good. I do not check iodine or magnesium, but dKH and calcium are good and everything looks good and is growing. Added a crocea two days ago and this is how it looked the first day:
Croceaday1.jpg

And this his how it looked all day yesterday:
croceaday2.jpg

The good news is it attached on day 1~2. This morning as I left for work and the lights were out, it was opened up considerably more, though not as much as you would expect with the tank lit. Has anyone has this experience before? It's been too long for me to remember if they act this way while attaching. Thanks in advance. (picassa isn't working or something have to fix later arghh)

Last edited:

steved13

PREMIUM
Pics will help (of course) but in 2 days I wouldn't worry too much and it sounds like it is getting more acclimated with time.

triniwasp

Pics will help (of course) but in 2 days I wouldn't worry too much and it sounds like it is getting more acclimated with time.

Thanks Steve, yes that's my hope.

I just checked the out posting photos thread, and the code appears correct and I know the images can be shared, is there any known issue with Picassa web albums? At any rate I'll upload them to photobucket when I get to work.

triniwasp

So it appears the culprit is my tail spot blenny. Little bugger has nipped at my birds nest too but it doesn't seem to mind. Thinking about putting a strawberry basket or similar over the crocea , to keep the blenny off it for a bit. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Last edited: