Couple ?? about my parameters

Ratpack

Just checked my parameters and here are the results:

Alk - 7
Calc - 500
Mag - 1300
SG - 1.026

First question is about the calc, I am not dosing anything for it. That is just straight from the Reef Crystals mix, is it OK being that high?

Next I have heard the mag needs to be 3x the calc, so should I raise it up? I have some three part that I can add.

And last, should I try to raise the alk, it has been stable at 7 for awhile now.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
If corals are happy, don't dose. Many of the experienced reefers on this forum will say, "Don't chase the numbers." Every tank is different and will react differently. Yes, alk is on the low side, but consistency with the numbers not fluctuating is more important.

Mike Johnson

I agree with Mayja on consistency. First, I'd have to know your water change schedule to make recommendations. One thing I would do though is raise the magnesium level to 1350 minimum. (maybe with water changes) Mag level is very important and may change your alk and calc levels just by doing that. I would be concerned with a level 7 alk. That is dangerously low. 7 is okay, but below that is very problematic.

Do your levels fluctuate between water changes?

Ratpack

I try to do 8 gallons a week on the water changes. Total water volume is about 80 gallons. Alk has always stayed low, so I dose it, but it always seems to stay about 7. I was using Brightwells salt and have recently switched to Reef Crystals, so I am hoping it may raise the alk some on it's on. All corals seem to be happy so I don't want to change things drastically, but I will try to raise the alk and magnesium slowly and keep an eye on things. Calcium has been higher with the two water changes I have done with the RC.

Mike Johnson

Okay. Again, I recommend you raise your mag to a minimum of 1350 before you dose anything else. There is a correlation between alk and calc. High calc drives alk down and vice versa. Magnesium is important to keep levels from fluctuating.

Tigersref

well, then i have the same issue regarding Alkalinity (DKH). my parameters are (taken this morning):
KH: 7.0
Ca: 405
Mg: 1360
Ph: 8.3
phosphates, nitrates and ammonia are at or very near zero. I have a 36 gal bow front. I use IO Reef Crystals and do 5gal water changes every week using RO/DI water. I Have no sump. I use HOB skimmer and HOB refugium.

I've tried raising the alkalinity using the Red Sea Foundation B product. I raised it over a 2 day period to 9.0. But the very next day, boom, it was back down to 7.0, I did this several times and each time, boom it drops back down to 7.0. This fluctuation concerned me, so i stop doing that and now i don't do any dosing. Weekly changes is enough to keep the calcium in an ok range, but the DKH, no matter what I do, it just keeps coming back to 7.0 almost immediately.

shrug.

DaveK

I've tried raising the alkalinity using the Red Sea Foundation B product. I raised it over a 2 day period to 9.0. But the very next day, boom, it was back down to 7.0, I did this several times and each time, boom it drops back down to 7.0. ...

This is typical. Since your corals are doing good, and your parameters are well within normal ranges, leave it alone. Using additives is more likely to cause issues than solve any problems. Now if you reach a point where your coral growth is removing more calcium from the water than water changes can keep up with, then you may need to do something to supplement it. Don't chase a number.