Convert a sump to a FOWLR?

Janka

Hi all.
I've posted several tank threads here over the years and thoroughly enjoyed all the input and help. I recently purchased a new sump for my 120 gallon reef tank and now have a perfectly good tank sitting around. I came up with an idea of possibly converting it to a fowlr tank (if do-able). Something simple and easy to take care of. Decided to post on here to see some thoughts and ideas. Here is a pic of what I'm working with.

DSCF0022.jpg

The dimensions are 20"x20"x12"(LxWxH). The corner piece inside is 10"x10". The taller wall is 8.5" and the shorter wall 8". The lip around the sides are an 1" plus the wall thickness equals 1.25". I was also thinking of maybe raising the box to the 12" by adding more plex glass and making the shorter side with the grill?

So I would maybe make that box the back and stick my equipment in there. I already have the heater, lights, sand (if I choose to use), and a glass lid that covers everything but that corner.

Not sure what I would do with filtration? Was thinking a bunch of gobies or 2 black clowns or some sort of fish that's not reef safe since this won't be a reef tank.

Thoughts everyone? Looking at all my options and trying to keep it cheap.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
You have a great tank to start with buddy.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

Janka

You have a great tank to start with buddy.

Thanks!

Good lookin tank. Defiantly go with some non reef safe fish while you can haha

I was seriously considering non reef safe to keep me away from making it another reef tank ;)

Any thoughts on filtration? Thats my biggest concern. I've doen lots of researchon the topic and it seems to be a mix review. Get a skimmer for fewer water changes or don't get a skimmer and go with somethign else and do an extra water change a month? Or do I have it all wrong.

dmatt88

Skim n sump. If ur serious that is.

Janka

I was kinda hoping to skip out on a sump. I do know the benefits of it though. If I go the sump path, I think I kay have to custom build a stand and canopy?

dmatt88

Rimless tank id not do a canopy. But it'd b easy to build a small sump n a cabinet.

redneckgearhead

Build a algae scrubber and skip the skimmer. Save your money! If it is going be FOWLR, your water changes will be nil with scrubber.

Janka

So no canopy than. That helps out a bunch. Looking into stand ideas now.

An algae scrubber? Today is the first time I have heard of such a thing. I did some research and I can't seem to find an answer if an algae scrubber can replace a skimmer on such a small tank. I estimaded the tank is roughly 12-13 gallons. A sump is starting to look good for this.

Janka

I really like the idea of the algae scrubber method. I think I'm gonna look more into that and see whats available.

StirCrayzy

Scrubber is a great plan for this, you can put a new UAS right in that little corner and box it in with Black ABS or something to hide it.

or you could go canister for FOWLR. ive had many yrs of success using one, just strip out the OEM media and run filterfloss and polyfilter pads.
Either way, there isa potential for a cool little tank.

Last edited:

Janka

A scrubber is the plan right now. I did look at a canister filter, but I think the system will be better with a scrubber. Make my life a little easier with water.

Janka

This projected is postponed at the moment :( I decided to get the 120g tank a new ATO and start swapping it over to the Algae Scrubber. So the money is all going to that setup.