considering aquapod 24

spanglish

This is my first post. I'm considering buying a 24 gallon
aquapod. I've had marine tanks in years past, but never
an "all inclusive" system. Any thoughts?

lcstorc

Welcome to RS! I of course have a very unusual Aquapod so let's see what others have to say. A lot depends on what you plan to keep. Mine has my seahorses and some low light coral. The stock configuraqtion does not come with much flow or lighting though I have seen some incredible mods on this forum. The stock system though would limit you to low light, low flow corals.

KMP

Hey, we can fix that flow problem :thumbup:

I went all out and swapped the lighting, pump, and added pumps. But you don't need to do all that. What you will want to consider is swapping out the factory pump (32w, 295gph) for a MaxiJet 1200 (20w, 290gph) or do what I did and add in 2 MaxiJet 900s (8.5w each, 17w total, combined 460gph).

Why swap the pumps? Decrease the heat. Not as big a deal right now in the winter months. But come summer, definately something to consider. They will run you $17 ea.

Lighting is sufficient for low light corals. I upgraded with a 4.32 lighting system from nanotuners.com. It was at this point that I almost considered scrapping my tank and going another route. In the end, I decided this would be the Ferarri of Aquapods and starting a new system would just cost more in the end. If you think you want to keep medium to bright light corals, than make the plunge now and get a total system from nanotuners w/the upgraded lighting. Or you can get the AP24 which comes with the metal halide lighting. If you make this decision now, it will be cheaper in the long run.

Other than that, (1st chamber) scrap the bioballs and I'd remove one of the sponges. Under the sponge I have purigen, rowaphos, and carbon. In the other (2nd chamber) put your pumps back there and a heater.

Other mods, I got a wave timer and another MaxiJet 900 (that's 3 total in the back chamber). Two alternate on the timer (one hooked to gray flare nozzles in picture - one hooked to black tube surrounding tank w/flare nozzles in each corner) and the 3rd comes out the stock location which has a hydor flow on it.

Here's a picture:

DSC05579_A_.jpg

spanglish

Wow, I see that the concept of an out of the box
system is still not complete. The systm I'm looking
at has a 70w lighting and no hood. I have not purchased
it yet. Is this the best bang for buck?

KMP

that's not an easy question to answer. being my first salt water tank, (other than patience) i learned that you have to research and decide what you want in your tank and then purchase a tank (that has adequate lighting) that will support that. of course budget comes into play also.

i would encourage you to put the tank decision on hold for a second, consider your budget, and then what corals you want. those two points will answer your lighting question.

lcstorc

Told you we had some poeple who had done some awesome mods. :)
My Aquapod came with the lights in the hood so I am a bit confused.
Probably the most important question though is what do you want to keep in the tank. That will determine what if any mods you need to consider etc. Mine is odd since it is plumbed into my 125g reef and I have only my seahorsese 2 shrimp and so low or no light coral with a bit of lr as well. Basically i use the filtration from the reef/entire system so my pod is just a tank with lights and low flow.
It may soon become a planted refugium since I may be getting a larger tank for my ponies, :)

KMP

lights do come in the hood. 64w (2 - 32w PCs). my hood (i got it up and out of the way for the picture above) has 144w (4 - 36w PCs).

you can also get the aquapod with no hood and a sunpod 70w metal halide. if you want to go up to 150w metal halide then order just the tank from nanotuners and get sunpod 150w metal halide or a Viper 150w metal halide.

again, figure that out now (by knowing what you want to do). it will be cheaper in the long run.

stock aquapod 24g w/64w PCs ($249):

AquaPod_sm.jpg

my lid from nanotuners.com w/144w PCs (looks same as above when closed - $439)

ap_436_1_sm.jpg

aquapod 24 w/70w metal halide sunpod ($349):

AquaPod-HQI_sm.jpg

aquapod 24 w/150w metal halide sunpod ($419):

AquaPod-HQI_sm.jpg

nanotuners also sells just the tank for $94. and here's the 150w or 70w viper metal halide for $210 and $160 respectively.

viper2_sm.jpg

take a look at those prices and you will see what i mean about figuring out what you want first. as an example, i paid $169 for my stock 24g aquapod. later decided to upgrade (but wanted to retain the stock lid - why i got this tank in the first place) and paid another $439 for the 4.36 lid from nanotuners. total of $608.

had i figured out what i wanted from the beginning, i could have gotten the closed lid aquapod 24 for $539 or the open top w/150 metal halide for $439.

note: all prices above are from nanontuners. you can find better deals on other websites. dr foster and smith has the best prices on the stock aquapod or aquapod w/70w sunpod.

most bang for the buck: $94 tank from nanotuners and 150w viper for $210. that would be $304 (50% of what i paid - damn, where was everyone when i was going through this :) and you would have metal halide which is best.

BrothaWolf

Hi and welcome! I have a 29 gal Oceanic BioCube which is very similar to the aquapod. I upgraded my lights also like KMP but I got the 4.36 DIY kit and saved a bit of money. If Im not mistaken nanotuners has a few different DIY kits for the aquapod which, if you are handy will save you a few $'s. I think there is a 4.36 kit for around $230 for the AP24. You may also want to check out Sapphire Aquatics for a protein skimmer. They make them exclusively for aquapods and biocubes. Mine should be here any day. They are custom designed for each tank and fit in the back chamber so you can still close the lid. I upgraded my pump to a rio hyperflow 6HF 350 gal flow. I have a hydor flow also but Im not using it atm. My coral seems to be happy with the flow in the tank just the way it is so... I must say though that I really love the job KMP has done with those powerheads.... its making me think... thats dangerous for me at 3am... Now where did I leave my wallet....

spanglish

aahh yes, it's all coming back to me now! the indecision, the burning
desire to buy something RIGHT NOW. It's been 13 years since I was
last an avid salt water nut. I had a 50g fish with live rock, 30g reef,
20 long fresh, and 20g aquatarium w/newts and salamanders....then
came children. I really appreciate all the input and welcome more. The
goal is a 20 something gallon compact system that will handle rock,
some corral,and at least one anemone with a pair of perculas. I had
perculas and successful anemones but they never paired up. Keep
the good advise coming.

Snelly40

just my 2 cents, i would not go with that Viper light posted above, i feel the sunpods are better quality, or you could do what i did and get the coral life pro 150w hqi metal halide., i have also added a fuge where i have my skimmer and i hve ditched all sponges/bioballs.
i have not added any flow, but that is my next step, probably will go with a maxi 900 and just mount it on the opposite side of the stock pump for now, i have a nanocube and my flow is pretty decent.
good luck, its a great hobby

KMP

brotherwolf, unfortunately there are not any skimmers from saphire for the aquapod 24 yet. i had some email traffic going back and forth with them and they are working on it - i was p.o'ed to see the biocube one came first :)

right now they have a skimmer for the biocube 29, nano 24, and nano 12. i check the site regularly and can't wait to snap up one when they come out for the ap24.

spanglish if you want an anenome then you will need the upgraded lights.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Hi Spanglish and welcome to RS, I hope this thread continues as its been really good. I have no room for another tank but stranger things have happened lol, that for sure would be my next choice. maybe you could tell me what dimensions you have for a skimmer? I would love to do a diy on a tiny little skimmer. Steve

spanglish

Some call me TIM! love the photo! I am now giving serious thought to
a biocube although I can't find one nearby (Dallas Fort Worth) What do
you know about EBAY and tanks? The amount of info on here is mind
boggling. I 've got the fever bad, want tank now!

lcstorc

Just a way we have on this site of rewarding someone for something good. It could be a nice picture, best wishes on a problem, a cheerful hello, or thanks for good advice on a problem. The amount of karma you give depends on your number of posts and I believe the amt of karma you have as well.
Oh and Sas, if you want to try a diy skimmmer for the aquapod mine is willing to be a test case. :) If you want the dimensions on the back compartment I can get out the ruler etc this weekend. (K well I am too far away for your test case, but can get you dimensions easily just let me know.)

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I got the fever!!! lol, too funny and no ointment in sight. Yes please Lynn I need a mind bender

lcstorc

Hate to tell you sasquatch but your mind is already bent. LOL
Hang on I will get the dimensions for you.
Well that was more difficult than I thought. rofl
It is an irregular shape so I will do my best to describe it.
First the easy dimensions.
depth is 15 1/2 inches but does have skimmer plates or blockers so you can lower the depth if you want to,
Total width of the compartment is 19 inches but is divided in half and the divider is open at the bottom to allow flow from one to the other. Width of the compartment is where it gets a bit funky cause it is not flat.
Starts wirh a 3 inch width for 5.25 inches then a 45 degree angle down to 2 inches, Then continues at 2 inches till it does another 45 back to 3 inches. Both sides seem to be identical in size and shape.
Hope I didn't forget anything. LOL sitting here w/a piece of paper w/lots of numbers and a quick sketch. If you want more info let me know and I can measure and post.
On mine the compartment is just used for the aquapod pump and a second small pump that moves the water into my main system. I have a bit of filter floss as well since it is an overfed pony tank.
So bend away and see what you can come up with just please do not ask me to convert to metric (LOL) My head might explode on that one. Good thing i married an engineer or you may have gotten totally wrong numbers, lol
He had to help once I realized it was not a rectangle.