Conchs

cracker

They were released to carry on but would have been tasty sliced thin with sweet rice & wrapped in nori! But anyway some of us "may" have other than the true conchs. Perhaps an offer of a piece of silverside or such at the LFS would bring out their true nature before we bring them home.

corrado007

I too am interested in a conch to clean my sand bed. It's been mentioned that they clean the top inch of sand and at times climb on the rocks. Is it safe to say that they only stick to the top inch or so? I'm concerned about putting any digging creature in my tank for fear of destabilizing the rock-work. What are the odds of a fighting or queen conch knocking over rocks and corals and digging at the foundation of rock-work? It sounds like most of you have have conchs that pretty much stick to the sand bed's surface, is this accurate?
Thanks,
Justin

michael_cb_125

I have the queen conchs, and one red footed conch. These two types are my favorite, as they have such nice coloration, and do a great job at cleaning my tank.

framerguy

Do the queens stay small enough to have in my aquapod?
Not in the long term, but queens grow very slowly. Fighting conchs grow faster, but don't get as big. By the time they outgrow your tank, you will have too probably.:smirk:

kathywithbirds

so I probably have fighting conchs, one in my tank, one in Mike's and one that travels (currenty in fuge siphoning cyano). They all seem to bury and are more active at night, althoughI have seen them wandering in the day once in a while.