Commercial Posts

Witfull

Those who have already proven their tendency to abuse such a privelege on other boards (you know who you are)

Raising hand,,,I know i know....UUUH UHHH Mr, Kotter,,,I know....
:wave:

reefrunner

Contributing Member
LOL, as with everything else, I have definite opinions on this subject...

1) I am much more likely to spend my money with someone that has helped me (or others on this board) than with a commercial vendor or sponsor that hasn't, so I think sponsor activity is important and have employed this philosiphy on my board. Looks like it will be employed here as well.

2) If everytime someone posts on a general topic, the commercial vendors are all over them with "I got this skimmer for XX dollars" with little or no reason why I should buy that type of skimmer etc...I think that would be bad. It is all gonna be subjective and I don't want to be spammed with advertising everytime I post on an item that is commercially available.

In a nutshell...if the commercial vendors and/or sponsors post as hobbiests with the hobbiests best interest at heart, then it will be an awesome experience and an awesome addition to the board.

Icebox

I agree, I think there are many venders out there, which have a ton of useful information. I would love to have their input, even if it means referencing their product occasionally.

That is the line, continuous adds in thread after thread are what I do not want. If a vender wanted a separate forum to post adds in, that would be different.

If a particular vender is helpful, friendly, and honest dealing with prior problems (Mine or others), I am very likely to look there for a purchase when I am in the market. Help is the keyword, not bashing.

There is a difference between referencing your product in helping someone and selling your product while taking over their thread. Everyone knows the difference.

I welcome you to post as often as you have the time, either asking questions or posting the best information you can.

If you know that a certain product really is garbage, please post it; just back it up with credible evidence.

Edited: I forgot to welcome you aboard Pete. :) Glad to have you around.

Mike

UnderWaterParadise

my name is Rob and I'm a Zooaholic
Well Teri and Kevin could not have said it better. Like I said in a post on RAG I feel it is a service to the hobby and to the wonderful people on this board to have owners of companies on the boards. I am more likely to buy from these type of people.

A LFS of mine used to get all of my money. Well now that I am sooooooooo deep into this hobby I rarely pay him a visit. The reason is I can tell he is in it STRICTLY for the $$$$ and does not give a damn about the animals he sells.

To me if you are taking time from your busy schedule to go on line and help people you have never seen or met then that shows you care about your business as well as the animals and Hobbiest.

BTW what company is Patrick with?

Rob

StoneyReef

No Longer a Member
Just read the new user agreement and well a bit of this kinda scares me. Makes me feel like we are at RC or something!

Reef Sanctuary exists for the non-commercial exchange of information. Sponsors of the club are given a forum to promote their business in accordance with the sponsor agreement. All other posts or signatures that are deemed to be commercial in nature are a violation of this user agreement and will be removed. As it pertains to the User Agreement, Reef Sanctuary defines “commercial post” as knowing and willful posts made by private individuals or businesses, directly or indirectly seeking commerce. Additionally, posts made by individuals or businesses in regard to other commercial activities, in anticipation of direct or indirect economic benefit or relief from the subject activity, will generally be regarded as “commercial”.Recognizing that it is impossible to construct a definition which will satisfy every situation or circumstance, Reef Sanctuary reserves the right to determine whether or not a post violates the “intent” of the “commercial post” policy or definition. Violation of this policy will be grounds for removal from our community.

Just by using this username I hope to light a lightbulb with someone going oh yeah, I have heard that name before!
:columbo:

Witfull

its legalese that is there to CYA, and i believe there from a past experience with an individual. i do not think that it is directed at anyone currently on this board, but there to fall back on in case of neccesity.

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Actually...this....

Reef Sanctuary is governed by moderators. Users must obey and respect the directions and decisions of moderators at all times. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action, including the suspension or removal of membership status. The removal/banning of a member is at the sole discretion of the moderators and administrators of Reef Sanctuary. Reef Sanctuary reserves the right to refuse or revoke membership status to anyone for any reason, without explanation.

...is the only non-standard part of the UA. The rest appears to be copied, almost, word for word from RC's UA (course every forum with a UA copies RC's, so that's no big deal). But with that paragraph, it makes all the rest of it mute and unnecessary, that one there says it all ;)

Witfull

Originally posted by Travis
Wit, you hit the nail on the head.

wasn't that hard to figger out. some people have the Most Deceptive Practices if you know what i mean :D

captivereefs

Sponsor
I feel this board is very relaxed and open as compard to RC. I actually feel no fear in posting regarding commercially. I try and think before I post though. Although I try I may not always fall in the guidelines. I think the Mod's have a greater tolerance and a lot more leniancy than RC. I do not mistake a little leniancy for weakness though! I think there has to be a mutual understanding from both parties and I see that here. I really choose the boards I sponsored carefully to avoid all the hassle I knew I would get at RC. This board seemed a little more "user freindly" than some of the others. I also think that people will buy from someone who is familiar and therefore a little more trusted. I do agree that this generates more sales then jumping down everybodys throat with products you offer. I try and keep all my commercial stuff in the forum that was made for me. I try and stay as active as I can with my schedule and appreciate this board for what it is---a hobbiest exchange---not a place for me to overmarket myself! Just some early morning ramblings fom an overtired overworked fish guy.

wooddood

the wood dude
personally i love having patrick as a member of this reefing comunity.i think you are a great asset to this forum patrick and when i get ready to buy a calcium reactor you are who im coming too.thank you for being here for us. dave.

ReefLady

Staff member
I absolutely agree. Patrick, if you still have concerns please PM me or Teri (or both) any time... there are things we have to have in the user agreement for our own protection, and can't publicly state otherwise...a private conversation may open things up for you a bit.

Travis

StoneyReef

No Longer a Member
Perhaps I am just too much of a free spirit, or hate control in my life. Who knows. I know I have no time for the Current Admins of other places. Len and those at Reefs are pretty ok. While I rarely post about reactors, well, reactors, supplements and equipment are all part of the reef tank experience. I love my gizmos almost more than the rest of the hobby.

Anyhow, when talking about tanks, I would love to say I have a stoneyreef kalk, stoneyreef calcium, etc etc etc reactors. I could post some nice tank pics of some of my friends and clients who use some relative simple systems with only a kalk reactor.

But that could also be taken as a glaring commercial post. Anyhow, I think I do not want to encroach upon others.

Perhaps I am still gun shy from the dictator like experiences I have had. I will say I have enjoyed this forum a bit more than the others.

ReefLady

Staff member
Patrick, you have displayed excellent judgment so far. My best advice is to use your best judgment, if you have a question you can always ask, and if you overstep the bounds the only thing that will happen is we’ll let you know privately to pull back a little. We don’t want to take any action other than communication, and would only do so in cases of repeated and deliberate abuse of our site. I seriously doubt we will ever have to worry about that from you. We want you to share.

Pro_builder

Patrick and Darin,
You both have been a great asset to this board, with your vast amount of knowledge and the willingness to help others out without pushing your certain product down our throats. :D That is what we all want. There are a lot of times that are looking for someone that has had experience with certain things and are willing to give thier "expert" (if you will) opinions, on what we should do or what we are doing wrong.
Thanks for all the help that both of you have given me!!!! I hope that you two keep up the great help!!

Maxx

Patrick and Darin,
I have to agree w/ Pro Builder on this one. Both of you have been fantastic at helping and contributing to the boards overall friendliness, w/o crossing lines and becoming obnoxious in any way, shape, or form. I cant speak for anybody else, but I for one enjoy your insights and knowledgable comments, and would hate to have that stop. I don't know if you guys were @ RAG when the transition/sale took place or not....but I feel very comfortable in stating that the Mods and Admin of this site are about as easy going, understanding, reasonable people that you could ever want to be in the position that they're in. They will also let you know if you cross lines....don't sweat it guys. Its good that you're aware of the potential problems and are oncerned. But I would honestly say that your awareness/ concern will prevent any of that from happening. I just wanted to chime in and let you guys know that its not just a couple of us who feel this way.
Nick