Coffee WB- The results are in!

ReefLady

Staff member
OK, I did the coffee filter test.

A brief explanation of my methodology:

Canon 10D, matrix metering, aperture priority at f/8 (not that it matters), ISO 100, JPEG image capture.

I set the camera on a tripod, pointing at my toadstool. I zoomed to where I wanted it and left it exactly the same for all 3 consecutive pics.

I then opened them in photoshop and resized them for web ONLY. No levels adjustments, contrast, sharpening or anything else (as much as it pained me LOL).

Here's the first one, captured with the camera's "auto white balance."

ReefLady

Staff member
Second one, I used 1 coffee filter over the lens, pointed at the subject to meter the WB, then shot this:

ReefLady

Staff member
You can judge the results for yourselves... my exact words were

"that's f'ing amazing."

Playa

Great job travis. But with the naked eye I really dont see much of a difference between the two with one filter and 3 filters.

Travis I have used Cannon cameras and they take awesome pictures, Nikon does also no doubt. The claim of fame with the Nikon is the Macro advantage. But the question is are Cannon Cameras better cameras than Nikon?

PS: I am still shoping for a camera.

ReefLady

Staff member
I don't see much difference either on the 10D. On the coolpix ones I saw a bit of difference.

As for which camera brand is better... that question has no good answer. You would do well with either brand.

T

Michael_Lambert

Travis..

What exacty did you do??? Point the camera at the item.. and then Totally cover the lens with the Filter and do the adjust and then Shoot the images???

Sorry.. not sure how it was done.

Thanks
Michael.

EdgeKrusher

Yup that's the way you do it tooloud. set your focus to manual shoot a pic of the lightsource with the coffee filter(s) on. Then set that picture as your custom white balance. I don't know how your camera is set up so you're going to have to figure that one out on your own.