Clownfish breeding ?

K L R

Im very interested in making a 66gal RSM anemone tanks and I for sure want to breed picasso clowns..but I dont want that whole 66 gal to just got to them, can i have 3 pairs of clowns, im going to have 5 or so anemones, so there is no conflicts, I was pretty interested in a pair of black percula or occelaris and not sure about a 3rd type, but no maroons of course or cinnamon, maybe onyx if I can find a pair...

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
BTA can grow up to 15" each, so 5 nems may be a stretch.

And no; one species of clowns per tank; unless you have a big tank (200+ gallons). Your really rolling the dice otherwise; an RSM 250 is way too small even to consider.

K L R

ok thanks.. i new i was exagerating on the anemones, but when you say 1 species you mean like just percula clowns or just occelaris clownfish? Or just a certain type like picasso clowns or just black ocellaris clowns?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
maybe ocellaris; not a good idea with perculas. Perculas do not live in family groups in the wild - they live in pairs. Perculas also do not live near other clownfish.

Ocellaris both live in family groups and will share their anemone with other clownfish species. So if I were to try it, I would do occs.

And the bigger/better the host anemone, the more luck you will have with this

K L R

Ok , thank and picassos are true perculas i think or are they considered occelaris because they are tank raised, sorry i guess this is my last ?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
picasso and onyx are true perculas, Amphiprion percula. Just a different color morph.

Ocellaris are a completely different species no matter how much they look alike. My sister, the biology professor, likes to lecture me on on how the way something looks is a horrible way to determine species.

K L R

hahaha well i was gna say here is a pic of a bunch of picassos together but i guessthey were probably being raised 2gether
http://www.deepseacreations.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Picasso-Jpeg1.jpg

and a bunch of snows here
http://www.reefbuilders.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/white_clowns5.jpg

but are picasso considered ocellaris? Like you just said I just read were they are the only ones who will accept a group of clownfish of their kind

but if I only can get 1 pair would i just be better getting the 34 gal rsm and 1 anemone

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Picassos are percs; so are snows/Wyoming whites.

You can get any group of clowns to live together when they are very young, even maroons. The problems come in when they get older and mature enough to spawn. Much sooner for maroons lol.

What happens is the female gets territorial, and has a territory she will defend to all comers. And this territory expands as she gets older. She gets more aggressive when she is mature enough to spawn.

Now, the normal reaction of juvenile clowns is to swim away far enough from the female so that her aggression is diffused. in case you did not know, clown families have an adult male, an adult female, and the rest will stay juveniles as long as the male and female are there, if it is 20 years.

Anyway, normally the juvies will swim away. Easy to do in the ocean. In the confines of the tank however, they can't escape her territory and it can go very badly. Her territory can be measured in square feet.

Occs live in family groups, percs don't. So what often happens is that percs live together harmoniously for 15-24 months, then its like a switch gets flipped in the female and she goes after the juvies.

Now, all clowns are individuals and may react differently; this is very common. More common that continued harmony.

Really nice hosts lesson the aggression. So do really big tanks, in which they can swim away far enough.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Like I said though; much better chance with occs. They live in families with adults and juveniles in the wild. Percs live in twos.

K L R

Ok thanks for the help on clearing all of that up, haha, so i would be better of getting a 34 gal and have a pair of picassos and an anemone