Clownfish Behavior

newsalt

I have a 15g high tank. I have had two ocellaris clowns which have been in the tank for two weeks. They are the only fish in the tank so far. They seem to be doing fine. One clown is slightly larger than the other. They swim together often. At times, the larger one seem to try and nip the smaller one. Afterwards, the smaller one makes this stange twitching motion with its body. This afternoon, I actually saw the larger clown grab the smaller one by the tail fin and would not let go. They both we going in circles for few seconds before the larger one let go. I looked at the tail fin of the smaller and it wasn't torn at all. Is this behavior, the twitching and grabing of the tail fin normal? Is this agressive behavior? Funny thing is, when the lights go out I find both of them "sleeping" together (in a vertical position) by the heater. Any thoughts?

Thanks

reefrunner

Contributing Member
It is common behavior for a male (smaller clown) and female clown. The female is asserting her dominance, basically they are becoming a mated pair ;)

SaltyQueen

Congratulations- since they are the only 2 fish in the tank, you may very well see babies in the future! (if you ever decide to add another fish, you'll want to remove & spearate the babies so they don't get eaten)

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Unless I'm mistaken (entirely possible), clownfish will guard their eggs, but abandon (and even eat) the fry. To raise clown fry they would need to be removed from the parents as well.

Gina

RS STAFF
Normal behavior. Let us know if you get babies. That would be really awesome! Good Luck!

SaltyQueen

I've never raised baby clowns, but it's possible that their parents could eat them as well- it's not a bad idea to separate the fry from the parents just to be sure.