Clam Care

mikej11

I just got my first clam and it has done really nice. Its' shell has grown about 1/4 of an inch in about a month. I have just a couple of clam questions.

What are you feeding your clams?
How do you feed your clam?
How do you have your clams postioned in your tank?
Do some clams like shade or do they all like the bright light?
What types of water flow do your calms like?

Thats all that I can think of right now.

Thanks,
Michael J

Brucey

Mike, I just wrote most of this on maxx's thread, but this is what I formulated from my reseach.

When their small they need additional feeding to suplemement the small mentle (for zooanthelle). I feed mine phyto.

Positioned high in the tank to get maximum light.

Position on rock so Byassel foot can Bury into it

Def don't position in the shade

Medium to high water flow rates to assist with filter feeding

Clams also like, High Calcium levels and Nitrate

Brucey

mikej11

Thanks Maxx. Link is very good and helpful. I am looking to see how fellow clam reefers here, take care of thier clams.

Thanks
Michael J

Maxx

Soory about that Mike....
Guess I'll throw my info out there.
20 gallon High glass aquarium, with 10 galln sump holding approximately 7-8 gallons of water. Houses macros algae (Calurpa species) for nutrient export and more importantly pod habitat. Tank is lit by a single 175 watt Aqualine Buschke 10k (JBNY and Sanjay Joshi state this bulb is actually closer to 13-14k) w/o actinic supplementation. Tank light is on for 12 hours a day.
Clams are located on sand bed, over larger seashells (clam shells and scallop shells purchased from arts and crafts stores.) This allows them to attach their byssal thread to the shells for stability, yet allows me to easily re-locate them if necessary.
I feed lightly...Kent's phytoplex and golden pearls, (two smallest sizes).
Parameters....
Calcium around 400-425 (dosing Seachem's Reef Advantage Calcium in top off water...alternating w/ Seachem's Reef Builder for alkalinity)
Alk...11-12 dkh
Ph...8.1-8.2
Salinity 1.024-26 depending how recently I've topped off the evaporated water.
Temp...79-80 degrees
Nitrates are undetectable, but my test kit isnt the most accurate. There has to be some in there cause my macro is still growing.
I think that covers everything...
:)
Nick

mikej11

My Clam Growth

This is a picture I took tonight. I hope it shows my clam's growth well. I can get a better picture later. The Mantel (Shell) has grown about 1/4/ of an inch.

228ClamGrowth2.JPG

I have had my clam since Dec 10th. Here is a link to my first post with clam.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=679

Michael J

Maxx

Derasa's seem to be pretty quick growers.....Glad your's is adding to its shell already, lets ya know things are right for the clam.
Nick

birdman204

looks good. derasas are sand dwellers as well as squamosas. Croceas and maximas prefer to have their foot buried in a rock or shell. I had my crocea attach to a nice flat rock in about 4 days. He has since turned in circles, but stays put. Phyoto is a good source of nutrition. Remeber clams are specific micron sized feeders, so make sure the food offered is in the proper micron range. otherwise it will be rejected, in the form of that gunk you see them expel when the "exhale". I believe DT's is appropriatly sized..