Can I use this as base rock?

advntrsekrs

I live in the wonderful Texas hill country where rock is very abundant. Can the rock in my back yard be used as base rock if I treat/ clean it in some way? I have heard of texas holey rock and am not sure what that is compared to what is in my backyard. Then again I have heard various opinions on using holey rock in a reef. If this is a possible option, then I would be starting a new reef tank with my local rock and then seeding it with some live rock. Anyone have experience with this? Yes, it is possible or NO WAY that is trouble with a capital T--- what do you guys think?
Thanks for the help. I am already looking for ways to save a little bit of money so I can buy better lights.:D :D

Last edited:

johnlewis

I would be worried about what could be in the rock such os metals. But I am not familiar with the type of rock, I'll just stick around and see if anybody is.

SaltyQueen

Texas Holey Rock is a type of limestone. Limestone is great for aquariums because it is actually made of fossilized corals. I've attached a picture below so you can see what it looks like. If you're not sure about the rock in your yard, I wouldn't use it unless you can verify what kind of rock it is. You could maybe take some to your LFS to see if they can ID it for you. Certain types of rocks can leech heavy metals into your tank. It is possible to seed base rock with live rock. I started my tank with 25 lbs of limestone base rock, and placed 10 lbs of live rock on top of it. The "dead" rock is now starting to become "alive" after about 7 months. The best way to seed base rock with live rock is to arrange your base rock, then place pieces of live rock throughout your arrangement, near the top. Then use a powerhead to create a strong current to facilitate the spreading of the live organisms to your base rock.

Attachments

• rock1b.jpg
    rock1b.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 102

advntrsekrs

That pretty much looks like what I have. Did you do anything special to the rock before you used it? Obviously wash it and get off all the dirt and stuff but use any chlorine or something like it? Also thanks for the great idea about taking it to the lfs. Then again they might not want to be out a sale of their base rock.;)

SaltyQueen

i boiled the rock for 10 minutes- I wouldn't use chlorine or any other cleaners, because it could leave traces of the chemicals on the rock

mredman

The type of rock you have is quite commonly used for base rock. However, each individual mine may have unique impurities. For example, the limestone mines in Missouri have fairly high levels of lead.

I would try some out by packing a small tank with the rock, add salt and put some marine snails in the tank. However, the literature may reveal a better test species. You have a goldmine if the rock is safe - after a year or so in the reeftank, the base rock has almost as much life as the live rock.

Mike