Can I put a pygmy seahorse in my refugium?

nijunet

Hi, I have just set up a large CPR refugium and I was wondering if I can add a pygmy seahorse to it? I don't know if this is a crazy question but, I was wondering. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

gch.3

hello and welcome! imo i do not think that would be a good idea. he would be very stressed for with the lighting on all the time. im sure others will chime in that have more experince with seahorses. what size is the refugium?

lcstorc

I'm certainly no expert, but I do have a seahorse tank with 3 Kudas. I would not do it. Seahorses need pretty heavy and frequent feeding which means a lot of attention to keeping the tank clean. Also most people keep their fuge in an unseen area, and if you have ponies you want them somewhere you can enjoy them. I don't think you really want that in a fuge. Also I agree with them wanting some dark time to sleep.
Just my 2 cents, but I would get a dedicated seahorse tank. (I guess that is obvious since I did.)
I thoroughly love mine, but they do take some work and attention particularly to water parameters. Also if you do decide to get them be sure they are captive bred and make sure you see them eating frozen food before you buy.(Mine eat mysis but I'm not that familiar with the little guys.)
Also you could check out seahorse.org . It is a web site and forum just for seahorses and pipefish. The people there may want to offer their opinion.

aquaman3680

If it was a display fuge that would be great. I had a display fuge with some awesome pipefish and it was cool, they need some downtime and they need alot of attention. If you can keep your algea groomed and where your seahorse is visible then great have at it. Most people dont pay any attention to their fuges. If you are using it for pods then he will deplete your pods. In my opinion the CPR fuges are too small to do that with but if you can pay some attention to the pony then go ahead.