can anyone help

sarah

Hi everyone, in the past 2 hours i have noticed my malu trying to get under my internal filter, first time seen him do it, clowns are looking very strassed out because they can not hide in him. Does anyone now why he is doing it, he has been feeding well so i do not understand why he is doing this. :(

Thanks SARAH XXX

Pro_builder

Anenomes will move around until they find that perfect spot in your tank. Light, flow, Etc. I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get sucked up into the filter.

BoomerD

As Troy pointed out, unfortunately, all too often, anemones will move themselves around looking for the "ideal" water flow & light. Commonly, this will NOT be where you'd like them. I've had them set up in the back of the rock wall where I can't see them, and I have 1 BTA that decided it liked the surface skimmer boxfor my Remora Pro skimmer. Even though the skimmer isn't in use on that tank any more, the big black box is still in there, witht e anemone just happy and thriving!
Keep an eye on it, feed it periodically, it should do fine.

mwrager

Originally posted by Pro_builder
Anenomes will move around until they find that perfect spot in your tank. Light, flow, Etc. I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get sucked up into the filter.

Very True, I have 6 different ananomes in my tank. They will move and there is not much you can do about it.

sarah

This is the first time it has moved for 2 weeks, when i fist got it, it did move around alot, just looked in tank again u can not even see him.

Thanks sarah :(

mwrager

Sarah, I had one set in the same place for a year, then one day he was 1/2 way across my tank, he moved around for about 5 or 6 days and then stopped where he started. Go figure.

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
My BTA took 3 months to finally settle down in its "perfect" spot. Just keep an eye on it and don't worry too much. :)

sarah

Thankyou everyone for your support, but panic over he has come out from under the filter strutting his stuff, clowns are happy now.
Sorry for panicing but the way he looked going under i thought he was dying.

Thaankyou again SARAH XXX
Karma to all of u.

caja

sarah what size tank do you have that in? I ask because I bought a malu for my baby clarkii a couple months ago. when I bought it, it was maybe three inches across. the thing has grown like mad. the clarkii feeds his anemone before it eats so the anemone is well fed and I supplement it's diet from what the fish feeds it once a week. the malu is now about 5-6" across when fully expanded.

problem is, right now it is in a 7.5 gal tank. way too small for such a fast growing anemone. I'm purchasing a 30 cube within the week and will begin cycling LR, so a new home for the pair in a few months.

Craig Manoukian

Awesome news sarah & caja!

Sarah glad you learned that corals and anenomes have some weird behaviors and as you experience them, things won't seem quite so alarming. Anenomes in particular go when and where they want as you found out first hand.

A 30 gallon cube is nice upgrade caja. Will seem like an ocean compared to your 7.5 gallon. Anenomes get quite large as you are finding out and can even outgrow 75 gallon and larger tanks. I have a BTA in a 20 long and there is plenty of room for it to spread out laterally, but in time it will have to be moved to an even larger tank.

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk: