calculate proper flow rate for a fuge

I had a 180 gallon tank that I will be converting to a sump/fuge for rmy 180 gallon display tank.

I am targeting 3600 gph through my display tank

I will have my skimmer output bypass the fuge but I would like to know how to calculate the optimal flow rate for a 75 gallon fuge chamber.

Again the fuge chamber itself will be approximately 75 of the total 180 gallon capacity of the sump.

Thanks

DaveK

There is no hard fast rule or calculation because the flow can vary depending upon what in in the display tank and what is in your refugium. It also depends upon what you want the refugium to do.

Generally you want the flow much less than you would run through your main display tank. You typically want the water going into the refugium to be free of particulate matter, so it's usually best to plumb it off of the main return pump, using T fittings and valves.

I would start with a flow rate of about 15 to 20% of what your sending back to the main display tank, and raise or lower it from there.

To others reading this thread, note the ratio of water in the display tank to the amount in the refugium. That is the way to do it, and the op should see some excellent results.