Calc/Mag/Alk/PH

hma

Are these numbers a little more realistic?
Calc 450
Mag 1120
Alk 2.0

What do you think and how should I bring the mag and calc up? Water change is next weekend.

Your system is OUT OF ION-BALANCE Adam. It would be important to know pH and ALK in dKH, then I can help you to take this again in balance. :tumble:

btw ...how much water is in your tank, less decoration and inclusive of sump?

Adam Black

Your system is OUT OF ION-BALANCE Adam. It would be important to know pH and ALK in dKH, then I can help you to take this again in balance. :tumble:

btw ...how much water is in your tank, less decoration and inclusive of sump?

Alk is 5.6dkh
Total volume is about 75g

cbrownfish

Surprising that Ca is at 450 while Mg is only 1120. I would test Mg again and begin slowing dosing an Alkalinity supplement. As a guideline, keep your Alk dose at a rate where it does not raise much more than .5 dKH daily (max 1 dKH). If Mg is 1100-ish, then I would wait several hours and begin a SLOW DRIP of a Mg supplement but don't rase by more than 25-50 ppm per day. Bring Mg up above 1200.....ideally around 1300. It is always a good idea to dilute your dose of any supplement into RO/DI water and use a drip to slowly add it into the tank (or preferably the sump).

hma

You need two different solutions. The first solution is needed to increase the alcalinity, 10 grams of Sodium hydrogen carbonates have to be dissolved into 1/4 gallons RO water. Of this solution 135 ml have to be measured out every day for 7 days, best at the early morning.

The seconde solution is needed to increase the magnesium. You need 431 grams of magnesium chloride Hexahydrate and 54 grams of magnesium sulphate Heptahydrate for this solution. Dissolve both salts together in 1 gallon of RO water and measure 540 ml out out of this solution 7 days every evening.

The ions balance is established again after that but still not optimally.

After 7 days the values should be that way approximately:
Ca 450 -440
Mg 1320
Alk 7 dKh
pH 7-8

the rate of increase every day is 30ppt Mg

steveh

Regarding the Red Sea test kits, maybe I can clarify something for everyone? The original Alkalinity test (c/w free pH test), was designed for fishkeepers, where an indicative result is perfectly acceptable. However, since then we have moved on considerably and the new Alkalinity Pro test is a great test for reefs. It's a titration test accurate to 0.04ppm, and works really well, giving a clear and highly accurate reading. The other fairly new reef tests are: Calcium Pro (acc to 10ppm), Mg (to 20ppm) and the really new Iodine test lab, accurate to 0.01ppm. All of which offer very good degress of accuracy and very good consistency.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Heinz

You need to fix this in your posting and on your website :)

the rate of increase every day is 30ppt Mg

That is ppm, NOT ppt. 30 ppt = 30,000 ppm, which is 85 % of the salinty of seawater @ 35 ppt or 35,000 ppm or 1.0264 sg @ 25 C. Mg ++ is ~1300 ppm in NSW not 1300 ppt ;)

Steve

a titration test accurate to 0.04ppm

This must be a typo and can't be

1 meq/ l = 2.56 dKH = 50 ppm

Your are saying this test kit can dectect Alk to 0.01 dKH or .0008 meq / l. That would make it the most accuate Alk test kit in the world. You must mean .04 meq / l and NOT 0.04 ppm.

very good degress of accuracy and very good consistency.

On any test kit we will be the ones to determine that. Words mean nothing. Many kits make such claims and are way off.

Adam

So, you are not confused.

From Heinz
Sodium hydrogen carbonate = Arm & Hammer Baking Soda ( and *NOT* Washing Soda or Baking Powder)

It is also safe to raise Mg++ 100 ppm / day but giong with Heinz's 30 ppm / day is fine to do to be extra safe.

This may make it all simpler for you for doing calculations

Reef Chemistry Calculator

Last edited: