BTA's can sting Clams

StoneyReef

No Longer a Member
My prize ultra ultra ultra clam!!!!! Tonight after cleaning up the puke and so forth from my sick lil one, I come out to look at the tank; low and behold the clam is having a fit, randomly violently closing, So I figure I would sit there and watch for a while. Well when the sea swirl comes around, one of the tentacles touch the mantle of the clam and it violently closes. This is good enough indication for me!!!! So I go in search of a new razor blade. I had not decided if we were going to do the manual BTA split or if we were going to move the clam yet! Anyhow after searching high and low, the only razor blade i can find is an old rusty one, So I grab the clam to see how firmly it is attached. This was going to be the deciding factor for which one gets sliced and diced!

It came off in my hand, one remaining thread holding it on, Turn it over and the whole basal gland it out, I am assuming it was getting ready to jump. Anyhow, I moved it to the other side of the reef. So now the BTA has commandeered over 70% of the tank. The only thing left on it's half is the brown monti cap. I guess the next decision is what to do with the tube anemone, because he has obviously not been happy since the BTA moved in.

I wish it would just split so I do not have to worry about it! Every source I read says they do not get much over 14" now we are over 20" Also if I do not feed it everyday it expands to maximum which puts the purple monster in jeapordy. I need to make it's life tough! Dang thing is too happy!

Witfull

time to trade that bugger in or start a tank just for him. i have heard that stress will cause them to split.

Maxx

I've never actually heard of BTA's having that strong a sting....learn something new every day. My LTA didnt sting my Derasa clam will migrating past it recently....
Nick

seerious

i have a BTA that just ate a rather large bi-colored angel whole in one and then regurgitated the "leftovers" for me to clean up...Yet i've heard they're difficult to keep so i'm guessing we should just be glad they're doing so well, even though they leave death and destruction nearby ; ) Would more frequent feeding keep him "satisfied" and deter attacks on the fish etc?

J

jupiter

Sorry about your clam (although it should be okay). This is a good example of why anemones don't make good reef tank inhabitants ;)

Maxx

Hey Jup,
Whats the deal w/ the sudden rise in Killer BTA stories?
Depleted Ozone layer allowing more solar radiation turning these things into man eating mosters or what?
Nick

Witfull

killer anemones, evil crabs, its all written in the book Reef Revelations....beware the 4 seahorsemen!!!