BTA MIA Please Help

Coraljunkie

I've had this bta for about 2 months or so it's been doing great it stayed in the exact place where i initially put it, I've been dosing tech m due to a bryopsis issue but other than that my tank has been thriving, the past few days the foot has been holding on by a thread and I didn't want to touch it and stress it out so I let it be, well last night when the leds were ramping down I noticed it was missing, I looked everywhere and can't find it, what should I do?

Snoopy

They can shrink down a great deal - I had a bta hide under a ledge for nearly 6 months before it moved again - when it did it had shrunk by 2/3 rds.
Check it didn't end up in your sump or power heads though.

Cheers

reefer gladness

There's usually something going on with water quality when nems hide like that after being established for awhile. Post your test results and let's see.

Coraljunkie

I found it face down in the sand under a rock, I picked it up and placed it where I originally had it, it's pretty deflated but it's not losing any color and it planted it's foot, all of my parameters are fine except magnesium, it's over 1750

Snid

Ok... I'm going to try and get better at this help thing...

What other parameters have you tested for besides Magnesium? What were the results? How do they compare to previous tests? Where was your magnesium before dosing?

Anemones don't care for unstable water, and will shrink/move as a result. If we are certain that the Magnesium is the only thing that has changed, then I'd suggest doing daily water changes and stop dosing to gradually return your water back to where it was. Then, for the GHA, I'd consider alternative approaches to removal that do not require tampering with the water parameters such as manual removal or an improved CUC. I'd also be patient with the GHA removal and not try to eradicate it overnight, as long as it is being reduced it is going in the right direction.

Just my .02 cents... Best wishes and Good Luck!

Coraljunkie

Salinity 1.024, calcium 450 alk 9.0 pH 8.2 nitrates 0 ppm phosphates 0ppm, and I don't have gha not sure where you got that from but I do have Bryopsis...

Coraljunkie

All of the above parameters are monitored once a week and have been stable, my magnesium was initially at 1350

Snid

GHA and Bryopsis are very similar in appearances and their nuisance levels. Bryopsis is frequently called GHA as a result, even though it is a different form of algae, because it is a filamentous hair algae.

I'd beef up the CUC, maybe getting that Lettuce Nudi you mentioned in the other thread...

Coraljunkie

Just a quick update, I found the bta under a rock upside down, it was very stressed due to the high level of magnesium, I put it back in the original spot and it's been doing fine since