BSJ in trouble, please HELP!

ScubaPrawn

All,

My BSJ seemed to be doing ok until this morning. I found him laying next to the glass and making a small burrow. He's laying in it, next to the glass, and not breathing well. His gills look large (maybe inflammed), probably b/c it's hard for him to breath.

I don't see white spots on him yet. Not sure what this could be. I did add some reef builder yesterday, but I added it slowly over time and don't think the alk/ph spike should have been too much...however I did cut off my refugium light last night so maybe that added to the problem.

Whatever it is, I need advice on what to do. I've been feeding new life spectrum pellets (thera A brand, with garlic). I added Kent garlic xtreme today with the pellets. He ate some, but he's not eating as much or as with as much energy as he was before. He's my favorite fish and I want to save him.

Please help out, ASAP.

ScubaPrawn

I think so. Maybe not for sps coral, but for fish a koralia 3 and a return pump at 900 gph in a 120g is enough I think.

fishguy4

that doesnt really sound like very nutritious food for a jawfish! You need to be feeding him like brine and mysis shrimp, those pellets aren't very nutritious. that could be part of the problem.

What are your water parameters? Is the jawfish new to the tank?

ScubaPrawn

that doesnt really sound like very nutritious food for a jawfish! You need to be feeding him like brine and mysis shrimp, those pellets aren't very nutritious. that could be part of the problem.

What are your water parameters? Is the jawfish new to the tank?

I'm pretty sure new life spectrum is some of the best food around for fish. I could be wrong on that, but I thought that was the consensus of many reefers.

Last I checked:
nitrates- 0
phosphates- 0
salinity - 1.24
calcium- 440-460
mg- 1410
alk- 7 (tried to bring it up to 8 yesterday, which I referenced in my op)

Anselth

What's your pH? If you added alk, that will drive up pH quickly, depending on how much. It's usually recommended to spread the addition over several days, rechecking each day.

I don't think you're looking at ich, since you referenced white spots in your original post. Jawfish in general are fairly resistant to the disease. This seems like a reaction to something else, given how fast you say it onset. Are there any other fish in your system displaying any issues?

ScubaPrawn

What's your pH? If you added alk, that will drive up pH quickly, depending on how much. It's usually recommended to spread the addition over several days, rechecking each day.

I don't think you're looking at ich, since you referenced white spots in your original post. Jawfish in general are fairly resistant to the disease. This seems like a reaction to something else, given how fast you say it onset. Are there any other fish in your system displaying any issues?

I haven't checked the PH yet, but I will say I put in the buffer in two different doses spaced many hours apart. All the other fish and invertebrates (including a cleaner shrimp, which in my experience are very sensitive) are fine.

But it seems like BSJ commonly display these symptoms...

fishguy4

reading over your original post again i remember my jawfish doing this. Usually it is because they dont have a permanent burrow already. That can lead to stress and cause the symptoms that you are seeing. heres what i did:

Look in your display for a rock that has a very flat side. Put it on the substrate, preferably in some current so he can get food easily) or near his burrow if he wont go for it. Dig out a slight depression under this rock. That type of burrow will make the jawfish feel much more secure and his symptoms should go away. And i would change to some more meaty foods at least every other day. They need that in their diet. see link:Saltwater Fish Goby, Saltwater Fish Blenny, Saltwater Fish Jaw Fish

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
... and try a water change! Just in case.

Amen!

Scuba. Never send info as last I checked. Seriously. Check it. Water is typically what the problem is so to best help u we really need "now" results. N again. Big wc.

........cutting n glueing living things to stuff. who'd have thought