Brute trash cans

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Lastly by his own admission he stats "... Perhaps the plasticizer is a new one, or perhaps it leaches out in time. We don't know. ..."

With this many holes in his post, and so many other factors, I can only conclude that Bornerman could easily be blaming the wrong item for his problems. I am much disappointed in him for coming down on Brute trashcans, with out concrete proof. Keep in mind that many of us have used this product for years without issues. Keep in mind that the product was not seasoned with several changes of a brine solution, as described above.

Like you say, EB could be wrong. Which means he could also be right.

I also recall an interview on NPR about a scientist who did testing of BPA in food grade plastic water bottles. When the reporter asked him if he still drank water out of plastic bottles, he said yes, but he was also too old to have any more kids so it couldn't do him any harm.

So as an aquarist how do I put this together? To my way of thinking, I am risk adverse. I try to minimize things that could adversely affect my system. Will mixing water in a brute have an impact? Probably not, it is not in there that long.

What about the reservoir for my ATO, where it sits for a long time? That is now glass on my system. To me, its only plastic, its a greener solution to use glass, it makes sense to simply remove one more potential factor.

BobBursek

I do not begain to know all, but a dry product will not leech out things from a container like RO/DI water, RO/DI water is very pure and looking for anything to bind with it. Nobody here has contacted RuberMaid and explained this and asked them there opinion or facts on this, someone should.

BigJay

I also recall an interview on NPR about a scientist who did testing of BPA in food grade plastic water bottles. When the reporter asked him if he still drank water out of plastic bottles, he said yes, but he was also too old to have any more kids so it couldn't do him any harm.

that actually brings up a very valid point on plastics and polymers. Water bottles at room temperature are perfectly safe.. water bottles that are frozen or heated however will leach. Matter of factly there was a report out not long about people who were freezing water bottles.