Bristle worm trap

Paul B

I kind of like bristleworms but now I just have too many of them. Whenever I move a rock I notice it is loaded with the little slimers. I recently had a small clam up on the rocks and it fell onto the gravel. The worms sucked it out in no time so now it is war. Over the years I have made dozens of bristleworm traps and just about any design works. You can even put a piece of clam or fish into a piece of stocking and they will be stuck all over it.
This design I made in about 5 minutes and put it in the tank last night with a piece of clam. It netted 5 worms over night. I will use it for a few weeks to reduce the population to manageable levels.
It is just an acrylic tube about 1 1/4" in diameter but any pill case will work. I stuck in a smaller tube about 3/8" in diameter. Any tube will work as long as it is small enough to keep out the crabs and snails. The tube needs to extend into the container a little so the worms can't figure how to get out. Lobster traps work on the same principal. And lobsters are smarter than worms.
The worms have a great sense of smell and will find the bait but the end of the tube should be at sand level. For this model I bent the tube down to hit the sand.
I also have a strung on it so I don't have to stick my hands in the water.
Have fun

IMG_1789.jpg

MJC

That's cool Paul thanks for the DIY idea I will keep this on file if needed in the future .

lcstorc

You are so awesome with the DIY.
Another trick (similar to the stocking) is to use a tube with filter floss on either side of the bait. Or of course you can spend some of your hard earned money byuing a commercial trap that doesn't really work (What I did years ago).