Brain Coral Host

kerry

Can anyone ID this fern looking bugger and tell me what to do about it? Leave it? prune it? pluck it? I don't like jostling any of my LR or coral, but if it must be done, it must be done. Thanks all -Kerry
brain_coral_host.jpg

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Does it move or retract into the coral head or does it just hang there like a macro algae? I assume you are talking about the fernlike projection in the lower 1/3 of the photo? Has it gotten any bigger over time. Does the coral look like it's suffering from it? It could be a symbiont. I'd leave it alone until you are sure of its identity.

kerry

It does not retract back into the coral, and it is definately growing. It does not seem to be bothering the coral, although you can see a hole above it that formed recently. That is how this fern started and then the coral started to close up around it. Um, that is all I can think of.

Raf

We have a similar creature living in our brain coral for over a year now with 0 ill effects......I would not worry.

kerry

Well, it has been a month and has grown "a little". At this stage I may no longer see my brain coral! Pretty though. Sorry about the fuzzy pic.
host_2.jpg