Bored with my Tank, time for change.

Cougra

I'm getting bored with my saltwater tank now and I would like to make some changes. It currently has a couple clownfish, royal Gramma and two clown gobies along with a variety of zoanthids, xenia, a couple shrooms and a finger leather. It's a 27 Gal tank (30*12*18) with a 20Gal sump/refugium. The tank has been running for nearly 6 years now and I have absolutely NO interest in SPS corals or most of the LPS corals.

I have been toying with the idea of setting it up as a damsel tank for a while now and I was wondering how many damsels could I put in the tank keeping in mind that I'm willing to get rid of everything, including the corals in need be. I would also like a small variety of damsels and enough so that the aggression is spread out enough that they are more concerned of keeping out of each others way rather then picking on everyone. (Kinda like a Mbuna tank for anyone who's kept freshwater Lake Malawi cichlids) Are there any types of damsels that I shouldn't put in because they are way too aggressive or get too large?

What other precautions should I take? Will I need to get rid of the corals that I have? I know that the tank is going to have a high bioload so it's probably going to have a fair amount of nitrates in it.

ReefLady

Staff member
Congrats Michelle, you stole my idea. :)

I've been wanting to do a damsel tank for a while as well, and even had the same "mbuna" theory.

I was going to try it with some of the "less-aggressive damsels" (is there such a thing?) - sergeant majors, chromis/blue reef chromis, and possibly some of the smaller yellow-tails.

But you could also go with the really aggressive ones and see what happens- mixing humbugs (nasty boogers), blue devils, and dominos.

Either way, I would think live rock and a wet/dry for biological filtration, in the hands of an experienced aquarist like yourself, could be a manageable way to go for something like this.

Meanwhile, i will anxiously await pics, so I can vicariously live through you without lifting a finger. ;)

mps9506

My guess would be it doesn't work the same way. Only reason I say that is because I have "damsel tanks" at work. Loaded with chromis, seargant majors, yellow tails, hum bugs etc. etc. There is always a weak one that gets killed, there is always a group cowering in the corner, they are always picking each other off. Just doesn't seem to work the same as our malawi or mbuna tanks.

Not saying don't try it, just my observations with our tanks at work.

mps9506

Cougra said:
The tank has been running for nearly 6 years now and I have absolutely NO interest in SPS corals or most of the LPS corals.

BTW, that is blasphamey :D J/K.

Cougra

Travis, I'm been playing with the idea for a while now. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's wanted to try it. My interest was peaked this weekend when I saw three Pomacentrus bankanenis (pictured below) and thought they are the nicest damsels I have seen yet.

MPS: I appreciate your comments on how the damsels fight in the store. I've seen damsel holding tanks at the LFS as well and haven't noticed any aggression among them however I did notice a lot of nipped fins and wasn't sure if that was caused by them being kept together in the tank or if it was from when thye were collected and transported.

What do you think about keeping only members of the genus Chrysiptera and Pomacentrus? Most of them are less aggressive and stay smaller then the Neoglyphidodon or Dascyllus (humbugs). I want to avoid the Chromis genus as they aren't nearly as hardy as the other damsels and do better in a larger tank with a large number of them.

mps9506 said:
BTW, that is blasphamey :D J/K.
LOL I've known that for a long time and it's also one of the reasons I get annoyed when people always assume that everyone needs MH lighting on a tank for the SPS corals. Personally I find them boring. I much rather the little buttons and leathers and things that you can see moving around in the currents.

Attachments

• damsel2.jpg
    damsel2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 82

mps9506

Cougra said:
LOL I've known that for a long time and it's also one of the reasons I get annoyed when people always assume that everyone needs MH lighting on a tank for the SPS corals. Personally I find them boring. I much rather the little buttons and leathers and things that you can see moving around in the currents.

Wait... You didn't know damsles need Metal Halides. 250watt DE minimum. :D

Your LFS should be able to order darn near any damsel your heart desires. My wholesalers and transhippers routinuley have 25 to 30 species of damsels listed on their price lists every week. I like ordering them personally as some of the damsels are beautiful. But they are a little more expensive this way, and most of my customers refuse to spend more than 3 or 4 bucks on a damsel period. Except for Fiji Blue devils, go figure... I could probably charge $20 a peice and still sell them...

Newt

Well a little bit of change is good once and a while. Plus if it comes to this again and you get tired of the damsels, just throw a mantis shrimp or angler in there and have yourself a predator tank! :whstlr: