Best Ballast(s) For 4 T12VHO bulbs

degibson84

my father in law is looking at using T12 VHO bulbs on his 300 gallon setup. He already has endcaps and everything is wired but he is having trouble finding a ballast or 2 that will power them. What are some good options? He had icecaps and coral vue before but those are very old and not working properly

DaveK

Before they went under Icecap VHO ballasts were about the best you could get.

Nowadays I use Fulham Workhorse Ballasts. You will need to carefully search the models available and match them to the bulbs you want to use. These are instant start ballasts, so you need to take that into account when you install them. The ballasts are electronic, small, and lightweight.

There are also other brands that will work also.

degibson84

the bulbs are going to be 72 inch to cover the tank. i dont see any of the Workhorses that list F72T12VHO

DaveK

You will need to look at the ballast specs. Many of them can run between 1 to 4 bulb depending upon the wattage of the bulbs being used. The specs for each individual ballast will often give various wiring diagrams for the different bulbs. You will likely need at least 2 ballasts for 4 bulbs.

degibson84

We went down to the local electric supply company and they sold us a ballast for $40 that lights up 2 of the 72" VHO

jerry26

A 220 will handle that easy. My light pulls a total of 820 watts from a 110.

Well that may be wrong. How many ballasts running how many bulbs and what bulb wattage?

degibson84

A 220 will handle that easy. My light pulls a total of 820 watts from a 110.

Well that may be wrong. How many ballasts running how many bulbs and what bulb wattage?

Each bulb is 160W. Looking at running 2 bulbs per ballast. Also plan on doing mixed reef eventually

AJ REEF

That should work out fine for now. You could always remove two bulbs and add some halides in the future if you need them.

DaveK

We went down to the local electric supply company and they sold us a ballast for $40 that lights up 2 of the 72" VHO

My only question would be, what kind of ballast did they sell you? Often all the local guys carry are the old coil and core ballasts. They draw far more power than electronic ballasts. This can cost you a lot long term.

SubRosa

My only question would be, what kind of ballast did they sell you? Often all the local guys carry are the old coil and core ballasts. They draw far more power than electronic ballasts. This can cost you a lot long term.

Easy way for a blind person to tell them apart. When you pick it up an electronic will feel about as heavy as a cardboard box, an old style coil will feel like a brick.

degibson84

I believe they are Phillips Advance Electronic ballasts. I didn't purchase any for my tank yet just for the in laws tank.

degibson84

i haven't added them to my tank(very slow build just planning and slowly adding equipment) they have been great on my father in laws 300