Bermuda...snorkel gear!

Hey Everyone!

I will be taking a family trip to bermuda...its a cruise that takes port in several different locations in bermuda, giving us the opportunity to experience all of bermuda!

I have never been and very excited!

While there i plan on doing alot of snokeling...(wishing i could dive but that will be later in life)...we have snorkel gear but i will probably be giving my stuff to my gf and i am interested in some new gear...i am looking for a mask, snorkel, and fins...i would prefer a dry snorkel and purge mask...fins are fins to me...

any suggestions would be great!

also, while on the subject, anyone have any suggestions on places on the island that are great for snorkeling (i would like to see what we all try to create in our home...haha)

Thanks!

Cougra

Sorry I can't recommend any mask to you as each mask is different and made to fit different shaped faces. The best thing you can do is go into a dive shop and try on different masks. Don't worry about name brands, you need to find a mask that fits your face or else you'll have problems with it leaking all the time. If you get the proper mask you don't need one that's self purging or has any other fancy gadgets built into them.

The only other thing I would recommend that you look for is a mask with the largest viewing area possible. If you can afford a mask that has side viewing panels as well as the front lens you should get that one. If you wear glasses then ask about masks that can have prescription lens put in or consider using contacts(talk to your optomitrist about this one). Remember water naturally amplifies things so if you have a light perscription then you may not need use contacts or corrective lens.

To tell if the mask is the proper size and shape for you:
1. Place the mask over your eyes without using the strap. (make sure you don't have any hair under the seal)
2. Inhale gentally and hold your breath.
The mask should stay in place without you having to hold it in any other way. If it falls off then try a new mask as that one isn't right for you. Make sure you get one with a clear seal as the silicone wont degrade as quickly (especially in warm sunny conditions).

Ask the people at the dive shop about the best way to clean the mask both after purchase and after each use.

About giving your mask to your GF, it may not be the best idea, especially if it doesn't fit her properly. She may want to consider getting her own mask so she wont get fustrated with having the one shes wearing leaking all the time and end up not enjoying the snorkling experience.

Fins, well I hate to break it to you but there is a big difference between fins. If you plan on diving in the future you may want to invest in a good set of fins that have an adjustable back strap so they give a better fit and are more versitile. With this type of fins you'll need dive boots as well. This is a good idea all around as the dive boots will also protect your feet when you are going in and coming out of the water. YOu wont have to worry about stepping on an urchin or shape rock/glass that you could serriously cut yourself on.

The snorkling fins are preformed for your feet to fit in them. If you do go this route, make sure that you try them on and that they dont slip off very easily. The last thing you want to do is loose a fin and have to try to dive down to retrieve it, especially since water depth can be very decieving.

As for the snorkle, I personally wouldn't waste my money on a dry one. Most of them come with a small purge at the bottom that'll drain most of the water out when you surface and a quick exhaul when you come up before taking a new breath will be more then enough to clear it. However that's up to you.

Again I would invest in a good mask for yourself first and then a good set of fins. These two peices of equipment are more important IMO. (especially for diving later on)

Thanks alot cougra for all of you help! That is alot of great information, that i will definetly apply into shopping for some snorkel gear!

I will talk to my gf to see if she wants to purchase her own gear or maybe we can see if some of the mask we have might fit her!?! well see!

Thanks Cougra! Well, now that i have the gear search pretty much taken care of, does anyone have any advise on were to go snorkeling at while in bermuda! I plan to make the best of this vacation and that means i would like to experience bermuda and the waters around bermuda to the fullest!

Cougra

Glad I could help out somewhat! Wish I could help you with the Bermuda question but since I've never been and am jelous I hope someone else will chime in to help you out there!I don't think it'll matter much where you go as each place I've been to has been amazing in it's own way.

One last thing, never snorkle alone. Make sure you have a buddy with you at all times. (I know this is what you plan on doing anyway but would just like to reinforce safety.) This is a safety issue incase the worst happens and besides it's always more fun when you share your experience with a friend or two!

PS when you go into the dive shop DON"T ask for flippers! Divers REALLY HATE that term for some reason ;)

KimPossible

I just picked up snorkle gear from Sports Authority last weekend. It was made by Body Glove and ran about 100 bucks. The seal around the mask was terrific. I recently rented gear from a dive shop in Hawaii, I got the best they had, and what I picked up from Sports Authority was a greater quality.
2 tricks I learned, a drop of dish soap rubbed on the inside of the mask glass and then rinsed out will keep your mask from fogging( we carried a small vial with us while snorkling) and chapstick on facial hair will ensure a seal where the hair and mask meet.

Well guys and gals, the big day has arrived! Tomorrow morning i will he heading up to New York to board a cruise ship that will be sailing to BERMUDA!

I will be taking plenty of photographs...in and out of the water!

See you all in a week!