Benthic zones in sump.

BoomerD

Witfull said:
a true Benthic zone is devoid of light though.

Well, that's what I always thought too Witty, but then I found these:

http://www.fathom.com/course/10701050/session2.html
"Benthic Greek word meaning 'depths of the sea' but applied specifically to the sea floor at all depths to distinguish it from the 'pelagic,' meaning the water column above the bottom."

http://library.thinkquest.org/04oct/00116/benthic.htm
"Benthic, a term meaning bottom is the name of the ocean zone ranging from the deepest parts of the ocean to the tidal affected areas. The most productive region of the benthic zone is the area over the continental margin, which is unaffected by the tides. Many groups and varieties of animals live here, a few are worms, sea pens, crustaceans, stars, and protozoa. The life in this zone is mostly made up of bottom dwellers which get most of their food from dead and decaying organisms. Therefore most of the organisms in the benthic zone are scavengers because they depend on dead flesh as their main food source."

http://www.coast-nopp.org/resource_guide/elem_mid_school/ma_habitats_acts/bingo.html
"The benthic zone is defined as the bottom layer of the ocean. The ocean bottom is home to a diversity of organisms known as the benthos. A benthic community may exist in areas that are shallow or deep, warm or cold, or dark or bright. The organisms found in the benthic zone are directly related to the specific habitat type. Several factors control the distribution and diversity of benthic organisms. These factors include the amount of light, salinity or salt content of the water, temperature, food/nutrient availability, and the stability and type of substrate associated with the habitat. Crabs, lobsters, and clams are benthic organisms that may be found in a rocky intertidal habitat. Some near-shore benthic habitats contain seaweeds (non-vascular plants). Kelp is an example of a multicellular seaweed and a representative of the benthic community. This species of seaweed attaches to the bottom via a holdfast, which is a root-shaped structure. Other habitats with abundant benthic organisms may include coral reefs, oyster reefs, deep-ocean environments, salt marshes, estuaries, and mangrove swamps. "

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Now that was a session!! Theres enough reading to keep me going for a bit lol. ok so back to the question. Is there a benefit from this application? is expanding it of any use? could it be condensed into a modular unit, mommy can I have my meds my brain hurts

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
sasquatch said:
Is there a benefit from this application? is expanding it of any use?

Yes of course there is, anything to export nutrients is beneficial IMHO.

Well Robert the hope was some is better than none and it is self generating, couldnt hurt to try,40 lbs of live sand and miracle mud should have some impact my tank is much better than before

yes I agree I have a small section in my sump with a DSB and some LR and I like to think it helps some just can't say for sure how much:smirk:

mommy can I have my meds my brain hurts

ROTFLOL :lol:

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Wow not one angry word, that is so cool. I promise never to bring up the vodka debate lol.

Amnestia

It kind of looks like the size of your sand grains are rather large, if you switch to smaller grains it'll make that 4' dsb a bit more effective too providing more surface area and less flow.

Basile

Robert the sand bed is sitting on a glass plate, the bottom of the sand is cut off from the water going under, imagine suspending a 10 gallon aquarium 4 inches off the bottom of a 40 gallon, fill the 10 with sand, thats the dsb. the water going under the sand has no contact its just a tunnel. I thank you for the effort you have put forth to see this sometimes a concept is very hard to explain

Hi, i just watched the video 6 times Reef Videos ( second top clip from the left)Tell me if i'm wrong because i want to do this in my next 20G sump. From what i've heard, he has no sand at all in the benthic zone just sediment accumulation which is good for the dusters and the likes. The upper level of the crates have a matt preventing a layer of sand to trickle down underneath, where there is no light. The slow water is perfect for the critters who don't need light as he says and the upper part he uses macroalgea . in the third section the return pump. Still from the video, he says he was surprised that a 20 G was so efficient at keeping such a big tank clean and clear.Aptisia is growing in the first chamber of the sump where the skimmer is and its propagation into the main tank is stoped by a UV steriliser in the third chamber. He says that the proof of its working is the fact that they grow there , filtering and that they polish the water. What do you think did i missed any detail of the desing.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Basile, think youve got it! my system has be totally remodeled now but that design worked very well for me, i did start running a filter sock on the input side, that cut detritus down to nearly 0, good luck with your project. Steve

Basile

Basile, think youve got it! my system has be totally remodeled now but that design worked very well for me, i did start running a filter sock on the input side, that cut detritus down to nearly 0, good luck with your project. Steve

Ye, thanks. I hope finish it this summer. I just got my lights, a big 1G. My funds are down so got to wait.