Bamboo shrimp

Dimmu

Hi! I recently purchased a bamboo shrimp for my freshwater tank, and the store employee who sold it to me said not to put it in with other fish... I currently have 2 small goldfish in the tank to help cycle it. He seems peacefull and is just filter feeding with his appendeges lol. Before I actually buy more expensive fish can you tell me if the shrimp will be aggresive? Thanks.

Luukosian

If you are cycling with this shrimp it won't last long....but if you mean you used the goldish to cycle and now have a stable tank then I can answer your question. Bamboo shrimp have fan like appendages that they use to grab stuff out of the water...effectively "filter feeders". I had a couple in one of my freshwater tanks years ago and they always hung out on by the hang on filter outlet trying to grab little pieces of food. Neat shrimp and no threat to anything in the tank. They do need really good water conditions however, like most shrimp species but also need a food source small enough for them to eat or they will stave. Goldfish being as messy as they are I probably wouldn't recommend keeping this species, and really any shrimp species with goldfish(depending on the size, maintenance, and other factors of the tank)

I've never seen them be agressive and at the time I had them with a bunch of small neon tetras and other small fish.... I'm not really sure how they would physically even be able to hurt another fish. Definetly a cool species, mine stayed alive for about a year then died in a CO2 overdose accident. Just seeing this thread is making me want to order a few more, where did you get yours from?

Dimmu

Thanks for the info. I purchased mine at petco...Not the best place to get animals I know ):. Got some live plants and saw the shrimp and I had to take it home.

Dimmu

Thanks for the info. I purchased mine at pet co...Not the best place to get animals I know. Got some live plants and saw the shrimp and I had to take it home.