B-ionic minimun dose OK?

Aquaphile

I've been dosing B-ionic at the minimum/slightly higher for a couple months now. This is first time i've tried a two part dosing system and I'm only using Bionic because it was recommended by the LFS while i was searching for the buffer that i used to use in my previous set up about 5 years ago to buffer the PH. I've read good reviews so i have no reason to doubt its success and everything is growing well.. I have a few SPS, in the tank, two small frags of Monti cap, a pink birdsnest, and some orange digitata. None of them huge by any means. My question is, i dont yet have my head around the calcium/alk testing relationship and dont have a kit yet. My question is, is it safe for me to continue to dose the min 10ml of each? my tank is a 30 cube and 20 sump thats a about half full. i didnt figure rock because i didnt think it would be bad to dose a little more. Am i inching towards disaster without monitoring the params?, or will it be ok for a while until i get a test kit and an understanding of it?

DaveK

When ever you are dosing something you should monitor the parameters. You need not do it all the time, but often enough to know where your tank is, maybe once a month or so.

If you don't you run the risk of a parameter running way out of range, high or low, and causing a real problem.

In my opinion, if you don't monitor it, you shouldn't dose it.

reefer gladness

If you're keeping SPS corals you really should understand the chemistry and have quality test kits like Salifert on hand. The chemistry isn't difficult to understand at all. Alk must be kept stable (emphasis on stable) between 8-11 dKH, calcium between 400-450 and magnesium approximately 3x whatever calcium is at. In other words if calcium is at 440ppm then mag should be around 1320ppm. If you don't maintain magnesium it will be more difficult to maintain levels of alk and calcium.

Test kits won't cost you more than the price of a decent sized SPS frag so they're well worth the money. Once you start testing you'll know what/when or if you should be dosing.

Aquaphile

i'm with ya. kh/alk, calcium, and magnesium kits will be on order. I almost ordered the calc and kh kits yesterday in a marine depot order i was placing. While searching to understand the relationship between the two, and figuring out which brand of kit to order, i got a little frustrated with variablity in oppinions about how it works and what to use. With some things all i need is someone to say: buy this, do this, and let me know lol. Which is kinda what happened with the b-ionic. I asked my LFS when he sold me the b-ionic if i needed to be worrying about the levels and he didnt act like i needed to be too concerned for a while. (might have been because he didnt have the kits in stock jk) Thanks for the advice. I'm just going to order salifert kits and i might have more questions after i test. Happy New Year!

DaveK

... I asked my LFS ...

One of the things your going to find out real fast is that your LFS is generally going to be clueless when it comes to any advanced aquarium system, especially something as complex as a SW reef system. Yes, there are some exceptions, but until they prove otherwise treat everything they tell you with a great deal of scepticism.

Your much better asking questions here, where you'll get the opinions of others. For one, you'll see that there are different opinions and both can be correct. Second, the people here are not trying to sell you something.

Aquaphile

Lol that's why I finally decided to join this forum! I'm not new to the hobby, just new to this level of detail for sps so I'm familiar with the LFS tactics. I will say though, a couple of our stores pretty nice and are primarily SW/reef and most if not all of the employees are active in the hoby...