Aquapod 24

odstar

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I just recently bought an aqua pod 24 gallon nano from my LFS.
Where is the best place to put the LR rubble? I noticed that I only have 2 chambers? Are the blue sponges suppose to go first and then the rubble LR? Can someone please help me. Can you send me pix of you set up. I would love see some ideas. Thanks.

NUGIO

put it in the 1st,2nd for your equip. some poeple use the sponge some dont if you do put it on top of the rock or it'll get clogged w/deitrious then you'll have to dig the rock out every time to clean it. As far as the sponge goes as long as you clean it often you wont build nitrAtes with it.
I got a 24 NC and im only going to use a sponge when theres visible "floaties" LOL

odstar

NUGIO thanks for the reply... Gotcha, I have not set up the tank as of yet but what will be the next step? Can I go ahead and buy LS & LR?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary Odstar :)

You can purchase the liverock/sand now. If the live rock is uncured, then it will cycle the tank itself; if not, you will want to add a dead shrimp just for a day or two to get the cycle going. Test daily for amm,nitrItes, and nitrAtes until the cycle is complete. Then you can add a fish or two... a week or two apart :)

odstar

Thanks Woodstock! I've heard nothing but great comments about RS!!! Being a NEWB I have a long road ahead of me. Thats why you guys are here to help us out. Just think of as the apprentice and the master! Anyhow what about my filtration? Do I just go ahead and put LR rubble? ANd wait for the cycling to begin? My lighting is a 70W 14K MH with 6 blue LEDs and 6 white LEDs . Whats the recommended light durations during cycling?

dobejazz

Welcome to RS!
If you have enough live rock in the display I wouldn't add rubble to the back compartments. I think it will just trap detrious and would be difficult to keep clean.

addict

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary, odstar! :clink:

As far as lights during the cycle goes, just leave them off. You can turn them on occasionally if you want to just check out what's going on, and to check for hitchhikers, but for the most part it's best to leave them off so as not to fuel nuisance algae growth (high light + lots of nutrients = major algae). :D

odstar

Hello everyone,

Tank is up and running since Sat. 25 06. I have about 26lbs of LR 20lbs Added small raw shrimp to help in the cycling ( didn't want to sacrafice any live fish for this process ) Patience is the key.
Question: Can I get rid of the sponge in the filter? Also Unlike the Nano Cube Aquarium the Aquapod system have removable panels that run from the top to the bottom on the right side where the water from the tank gets sucked into the filter. Do I remove the panels for faster filtration? Should I also add a skimmer? Right now I have a Rio 800 pump running inside the tank to help circulate the water. I tried to replace the stock pump but the stock hose was to big. Have any suggestions? Again thanks for the warm weclome for all fo you!!!!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Karma to you for not using a live fish to cycle your tank!! :D

Yes, remove the sponge filter. Your live rock will provide all the biological filtration needed. In its place, you can use a phosphate media (phosban) and possible some carbon too. (Both in seperate socks/bags).

Ganomish

I am using rubble in the back chambers, but in flow through bags.
That way I can pull them out easily and completely and rinse them in refuse water during a water change.
Works pretty good so far.
Fred