Anyone who has MAXSPECT Razor R420R LED lights?

Fez

Hi, I'm in the research phase of purchasing equipment. I'm set to begin a reef 180 Wide (72X24X25) and I'm sold on getting the Razor R420R units. I was told by the technician that 2 of the 27.5" units would do great. He stated that the option of having a 10K or 16K was my preference. Looking at he specs, the 10K has more white light and the 16K has more blue. Would the 16K do better for my reef? Will only 2 of these units provide enough light for my reef?

Thanks.

Fez

DaveK

I would say that the two Razor R420R units would be as good a choice as anything else. The controlling factor is what you plan to keep in the tank. Only if you want to keep the tank full of SPS corals or clams or have some other unusual lighting requirements would you want to consider more.

As for 10,000K verses 16,000K, corals will tend to do better at 10,000K. As you noted it is more light. This would also be my personal choice. However, it's not that cut and dry. Many people today like very blue tanks. If you like this effect, then go for the 16,000K fixtures. This comes down to a matter of personal choice, and there is no right or wrong answer.

Corvus

My tank is only 36" across, and my one 27" Razor R420R 16K does a great job of lighting things up. Two of them would give you 54", and your tank is 72" wide. Hmmm... Not sure, but they might work just fine depending on how you space them apart.

C.

saltfan

I have one and prefer the 16k and corals are doing great. Remember you can dial back the blue.

Fez

The gentleman at the place that demonstrated them showed me how they would be mounted over the tank. Since all of his tanks had T-5 and Metal Halide, I was worried that I would have to buy 4 of these units. If I need a third, I can always add it after my tank cycles. Do you find that light penetration is adequate?

Fez

DiverAl

My tank is 21" deep and penetration is more than enough.

Hello, I have 2 Razors on my 180 gal reef tank and I am having problems with perhaps too much light as a number of my previously healthy corals have died. I was using 5 160 watt VHO bulbs until about 6 months ago and now my tank seems less vibrant and healthy. Could people share their experiences with the LED system including intensity settings and amount of time use per interval. Thanks, Alan (DiverAl)

Mr.Reeefer

I have the 16k, I found it to be very powerful for my tank (which is very small) so slowly raise up the lights over maybe a month or so to give everything time to adjust and watch for coral reaction while doing so, I haven't used any other LEDs as yet to compare too but am happy with the purchase and haven't had any problems.

I think if your going for growth go 16k, if your going for, or have corals that like intense light, go 16k.

Good luck and take care

Good luck