Anyone selling tank bred hippocampus erectus in our area?

Roks-Sharky

Before I order from this site, www.mknwaves.com, the guy seems very helpful.

I wanted to make sure there was no local source for tank bred hippocampus erectus.

What I found really interesting about these seahorses is they live off OUR COAST (as well as many other places)!!!!

I've put my mission to breed Mandarins aside for now, the enormous amount of live rock and $1000 lighting package I dreamt of I'm not ready to invest in.

So I'm going with a sparse tank, some fake grass, and a pair of Seahorses .. .

Maybe a chocolate chip star and an urchin . . .

lcstorc

Not sure where your local area is, but I got my kudas locally. My lfs now stocks several different kinds of ponies cause of me. Gotta love an independently owned lfs. If I say I want to start something next thing I know he has it.
Love my ponies, but it is by far the more difficult of my 2 tanks even though they share water. Constantly fighting cyano and other issues caused by the heavy feeding requirements. If the tanks did not share water and if I was not such a water change freak I would probably have to give it up cause I would never be able to keep the trates and phosphates under control in their tank alone since they are in a 24g aquapod.

Roks-Sharky

Note: this is posted in the South Jersey Marine Club Forum

Here's my latest seahorse plea,

I am looking to purchase a breeding pair of Hippocampus Erectus, the

seahorses found off the NJ Shore. I have found a captive bred source

in California for this species, but from what I've read, the range of this

seahorse is so large, it is questionable that they are all the same

species. So to make sure, I'd like to purchase locally. My tank is 150

gallons and will be dedicated to seahorses. If I can get them to breed I

would surely be interested in a program that releases them back into

the wild, and selling pairs to other people who would do the same.

Any help would be greatly appreciated . . .

Cougra

Before you do anything like releasing the fish back into the wild, you should contact you're local Fish and Wildlife services to find out what type of protocols they have. Wildlife services and experts tend NOT to like it when people release any animals into the wild, especially captive bred/raised specimens. They may even have very strict quarentine proceedures that you need to know about as well as finding out where they would consider it safe to introduce a new colony that does not threaten already existing colonies.

Have you also considered what you need to know to condition and acclimatize the fish to the native waters? What temperatures you'll need to raise the fish at (it definately will NOT be typical reef temperatures) so they don't go into shock and die as soon as they are released? Do you have a plan to monitor the specimens that you plan on releasing for any period of time after they've been released to see if they are able to make the transition between captivity and the wild?

There are a lot of things to consider when you plan on participating in a rehabilitation project like you are talking about. I would be interested to hear what precautions and steps you are planning to take for your idea to be successful.

Roks-Sharky

Cougra said:
Before you do anything like releasing the fish back into the wild, you should contact you're local Fish and Wildlife services to find out what type of protocols they have.

Have you also considered what you need to know to condition and acclimatize the fish to the native waters? QUOTE]

Sorry Michelle, I wasn't clear, that plea was sent to the New Jersey Academy for Aquatic Sciences: http://www.njaquarium.org/index2.html

I'm hoping to do this with their help . . . I intend to breed local species, local temperature, and hope to have full permission to release locally . .

billyr98

maybe you can talk to squaregrouper on here.. He works at the Baltimore aquarium, maybe he can point you in the right direction also!

Gina

RS STAFF
billyr98 said:
maybe you can talk to squaregrouper on here.. He works at the Baltimore aquarium, maybe he can point you in the right direction also!

Great Idea Billy! He may know some breeders around here!

I didn't even think of that!
I'd give you karma if I hadn't already!

squaregrouper

My ears were ringing...
My friend Jorge owns Draco Marine Aquaculture in Baltimore and he specializes in Hippocampus sp. I don't know if he raises H. erectus.

A few things about past posts on this thread, with all due respect.
1) H. erectus is the same species, regardless of where they are native to. The definition of a species is two animals than can produce fertile offspring. A human from Alaska and a human from South Africa can produce fertile offspring, thus they are the same species. On the other hand, all mules are sterile. Every time a mule is born, it is the offspring of a horse and a donkey.
2) DO NOT release any captive animals, whether wild or captive raised. It is not only unethical, it is illegal.
I didn't mean to sound rude or harsh, I just wanted to clear those things up.

billyr98

squaregrouper said:
My ears were ringing...
My friend Jorge owns Draco Marine Aquaculture in Baltimore and he specializes in Hippocampus sp. I don't know if he raises H. erectus.

A few things about past posts on this thread, with all due respect.
1) H. erectus is the same species, regardless of where they are native to. The definition of a species is two animals than can produce fertile offspring. A human from Alaska and a human from South Africa can produce fertile offspring, thus they are the same species. On the other hand, all mules are sterile. Every time a mule is born, it is the offspring of a horse and a donkey.
2) DO NOT release any captive animals, whether wild or captive raised. It is not only unethical, it is illegal.
I didn't mean to sound rude or harsh, I just wanted to clear those things up.

Kyle thanks for coming so quickly to a request ;)

squaregrouper

Yes, Jorge has H. erectus.
I believe his strain is the "Gulf of Mexico H. erectus" vs. the "Chesepeake Bay H. erectus". Contact him and ask a few questions. If you want to speak by phone, beware he has a heavy accent. Mention me (Kyle), and he will take care of you, not with prices, but with information and cherry picking of his livestock.

http://www.dracomarine.org/

squaregrouper

billyr98 said:
Kyle thanks for coming so quickly to a request ;)

I enjoy promoting responsible marine fishkeeping. I am always happy giving my "2 cents" to help a fellow fishkeeper, whether its what they want to hear or not.
Thanks for noticing.
PS- Anything I say or advise is my personal opinion, and has nothing to do with my Full Time Job, or employer. (Legal Disclaimer)