Anyone recommend an anemone?

pipbarr

Hello all!

Just joined the site tonight after reading for a few weeks.

Can anyone recommend an anemone that would do well in my 45g high with 2X96w PC, 1 Actinic, 1 10000K? I'm looking for a species that would potentially host a perc. clown, and one that tends to find a place and stay there (although I'm not sure if some anemones move more than others).

Thanks,
Philip

BoomerD

In my opinion, 2x96 is not enough light for an anemone in a tank that tall. maybe 4x96 would be o.k. for a BTA, but 2 just won't provide enough light. Maybe...IF you could persuade it to stay at the top, but as we all know, the dang anemones seem to NEVER stay where WE want them...

pipbarr

Thanks, I'll be waiting on that until I can upgrade my lighting.

What about a clam? You think a derasa would get enough light, and be okay in a 45g?

BoomerD

I am NOT a clam person, so I don't know for sure, but maybe IF you can get the clam up high, close to the lights...
I believe some clams like being in the rocks, while most like being on the sand bed. Not sure about the derasa. You keep coming up with high light loving animals for your tank. Maybe you should just go ahead and make the upgrade to metal halides. Then, you will be able to keep just about any of them.

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
I would say a T. Squamosa clam would be the better candidate. They do not require as much light as the others do. How long has your tank been set up? I prefer a mature tank of at least one year for anenomes and clams as your tank should be quite stable by then. :)

wooddood

the wood dude
i'll have to agree you dont have enough light to support an anemone at the moment they require strong lighting to survive long term. you may be able to keep a crocea clam under the pc's i did for a long time under 520 watts of pc's but have upgraded to metal halides. good luck. and welcome to the sanctuary.