Anenome v.s. Corals

Gina

RS STAFF
I think I already know the answer to this but, am going to ask it anyway.

I am thinking about getting a RBTA and, since they can travel to whatever spot they want, what would happen if they came in contact with a coral?

Am I right in assuming that they would try to sting each other?
For those of you that have both, what have been your experiences?

Maxx

Yes, they would sting each other, but I suspect the anemones stings would be more powerful since thye are designed to capture fish. Even thought the BTA's are less powerful than other anemones. I would suggest putting the BTA in a good spot light wise, (If I remember tight, you've got 175s right?) in the rockwork, and would try and feed it as shortly after it opened up and looked remotely receptive. If it gets food and plenty of light, it shouldnt move....but its really important to understand that these critters go where they want. My LTA has moved once, from one side of the tank to the exact opposite side from where it was originally.

Gina

RS STAFF
Yes, our lights are 175w. I would love to have one as I really like how they look. But, I love my corals also and wouldn't want to loose one just because I wanted something in the tank that I thought was nice to look at. I am in no hurry to decide if I will get one or not but, want to know all the risk associated with it.
Thank you very much for responding! Karma!!

addict

The only time my BTA's move is when they're going to split... otherwise they seem to stay put wherever they first drop anchor.
If you have any LPS in your tank (and probably SPS too) the anemone will win any battles it fights. I almost lost a buble coral, and half my pagoda cup coral is now white skeleton from the anemone rubbing on it.
You may have to move a couple of corals out of the anemone's way as it finds the right spot, but after that you should be okay... BTA's don't like to wander as much as some anemones do.
Once they split though you never know where they're going to end up, so you may have to do some more coral rearranging if and when that happens.
In my next tank I'm putting the anemones on their own little rock island so that they'll stay put and not bother anything else.

Gina

RS STAFF
Thank you Daivd! I'm still thinking about it but, I'll probably do it when I come across a RBTA. I really like the looks of the reds v.s. pink tip. Karma for your answer!!

wooddood

the wood dude
good luck gina,i;ve had them stay where you put them and some move all over the tank and still moving.and as nick said yes they will sting other corals.you just have to keep an eye on them.