Ambient light

Flipper

Sturgeon General
My tank at work sits for 10 hours a day with the lights on, but the overhead lights in the room are on 'till 11:00 pm or later, so the room is only truly dark for 6 or 7 hours. Will having the ambient light of the room on the tank have any effect one way or the other, or is it simply not enough to make any difference? Thanks.

essmaker

PREMIUM
My tank at home sits in indirect sunlight for about three hours before the lights come on. Which means it is in some kind of light for all but about 7 hours of the day.

It has been this way for about a year without any ill effects that I can think of.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
About the curtain, I have seen a dive shop in south Florida (Force-E) do the same thing. I guess they are open way later than the time the tank lights go off.
It would be kinda cool to do a cardboard cutout to go around the tank. You could draw a picture of a clownfish sleeping in an anemone and write "Do not disturb... Sleeping with the fishes!" on it.
:D

SaltyQueen

In addition to a freshwater & reef aquariums, I also have a 5 gallon with 2 land hermit crabs in it. So one day I found this pic when surfing crab pages & this thread reminded me of it- see photo below...

I though it was a cute idea, and if you wanted to make one for your tank, you could decorate it with fish or whatever...

I'm a night owl, so I'm up for several hours after my tank lights go off, but then I also have moon lites running over my tank all night long.

Attachments

• tankblanket.jpg
    tankblanket.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 48

Scooterman

I have a reverse lighing cycle, though it isn't as nice as the above pic, I have a throw blanket, that laps over the tank on the days we're home(weekends) I cover most of it not all.

nigle

Oi!

The room lights should not effect the tank. Yes when the tank lights are off there will be 'light' going into the tank but it is minimal compared to what is above the tank.

Ambient light from windows [NOT WINDOZ 95, 98 2000 XP or NT, HA!] will only effect the tank if it is 'bright' enough to offset the tank lights, most room lights are NOT that bright [I hope unless you live a landing pattern at O'Hara, HA!] Personally I think that the fish like the 'view' looking out, so they can see us in 'our tank', HA!

I've had good and bad luck with direct sunlight from windows, my 5 gal. starter tank never minded it, but my 29 Rock tank did have an algae bloom, but it was mostly my fault when I wasn't watching the water movement and prams. Before they [prams] went Wacko! I never had a problem and the coral on the rocks were doing fine.

Cheers!
nigle
!~!