Algae on substrate

PhilOlsen

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have very fast growing algae on my substrate that I would like to know how/if I can control. I have a 55 with about 40 lbs currently and curing another 50 lbs of live rock, 30 lbs each of live sand and crushed coral substrate. I am working on setting up 2 10 gal tanks, 1 as sump and the other a refugium, for filters I currently have a Fluval 404 (which will have all media pulled out of it once balance or rock is installed) a Prizm skimmer and a 11 watt UV filter, lighting is a 260 watt fixture with 2-12000k daylights that run 8 hours a day and 2-actinics that run 12 hours a day as well as led's for night. Tha algae that grows is on top of the substrate and is green in color, the glass is clean thanks to my Kole tang so there is no issue there. I but my water from a local fish store that is run thru a RO and UV filtration process and pre mixed with salt, salinity is .021, temp is 79. I am also considering adding some snails and crabs but I have a Huma Huma Trigger so I dont know if they will be a snack, he is almost 2 years old and is used to processed foods, he leaves polyps and the mushroom that are growing on a couple pieces of the rock alone so I am willing to give it a shot, I am not brave enought to try shrimp yet though.

lcstorc

I would try some snails and check your phosphates. Is the algae a sort of like a sheet that you can gently remove? If so do it. It sounds like cyano except for the color. Cyano is usually kind of maroon. Could be a different type regardless. If you cannot just pull it out try vacuuming the substrate during your next water change. That can also be very helpful. One last thing. How old are your bulbs? Old bulbs can also contribute. You also have a bit of a long photo period IMO.
Hope that helps.

blue_eyes53813

Try increasing the flow in that area as well.. What are all your tank readings? ammonia, nitrite, nitrate,.. It sounds like a nuisance new tank algae that will go away on its own.. Make sure food isnt settling in the area as well.. Does it look like hair or is it bubbly kind of algae?

PhilOlsen

the tank has been running for about 18 months, the bulbs are less than a month old. I do not test my own water I bring it in and have not been told exact readings, just that all is good. I have had the issue for about 3 months and I do vacuum the substrate when I do water changes and do a 20% weekly. As for flow I have 2 maxi jet 1200's just for flow but they are high in the tank, as well as a ???? powerhead for the UV and the Fluval has a spray bar that spand 2/3's of the tank with half at a 45 degree down and the other half about 60 degrees down for direction. It is somewhat like a sheet but I am unable to just pick it up without it falling apart. As for food, I feed once a day and they eat it all, I make sure to watch until it is gone.

PhilOlsen

Also what do you mean by photo period? How long do you recommend I leave the light on?

blue_eyes53813

You say the powerheads are high in the tank.. I would try to get some more flow towards the bottom of the tank and see if that help..

Photo period is total hours all lights are on... mine is 9-10 hours a day... I would reduce the lighting a couple hours a day and see if that helps as well.

lcstorc

Hmm. Sounds like you are adressing some of the biggies. I would get the water tested and get the actual numbers particularly for phosphates. What some consider fine others do not.
JMO of course.