Additional Fish for new 50g FOWLR tank

newsalt

I am switching from a 15g high to a 50g tank. I currently have two clowns a royal gramma and a coral beauty angel. I wanted to and 3 or 4 more fish in time to the 50g. Are there any butterfly fish that don't get huge and are peaceful enough to co-exist with the current fish? BTW, of the 3 or 4 more additions, I was think of 3 blue-green chromis and something else.

Thanks

Tarasco

Most butterflies get over 5 inches, so they aren't what people would usually call small. A yellow long nosed butterfly is typically thought of as one of the easier fish to keep, but they do get kind of big, and I think the recommended minimum tank size for one is about 55 gallons, so you'd be pushing it. I have one in my 90, and he is a pretty active swimmer. So a butterfly recommendation would depend on the amount of swimming room you have, and length of your tank. Here's mine:

69butterfly-med.JPG

He's not as small as he looks there.

newsalt

That's exactly the fish I was looking into. My 50g dimensions are 36Lx18Hx18W. I plan on arranging my LR so that if you look into the water from the top, there would be a diagonal swimming area from one of the front corners of the tank to on of the back corners. I think what that would give me is in additon to the 36" of left to right swimming, there would be close to 40" of diagonal swimming.

Tarasco

If I were you I'd try to find a smaller one, and see how it does in your aquarium. Here's some more information on the Forcipiger family:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/forcipig.htm

I'd put this fish in before adding the chromis. If it does not appear cramped, and looks like it has all the room it needs, then you can try adding the chromis later.