Achilles Tang

Talon33

Hey guys my reef is coming together awesome and the LFS has a great looking 3-4 inch achilles tang in. This guy is healthy, active, and thick! I have always loved to achilles tang and really want one for the tank to make my tank kinda special. I will give you guys some tank bio and you can let me know what you think. This will be the only tang and only medium to large fish in the tank.
125 gallon DT 72x18
55 gallon sump
35x tank turnover
mixed reef with lps and softies right now
Fish stocking
2 black ice clowns
royal gramma
firefish
Still on the list
3-5 anthias
fairy wrasse
goby of some sort
and the Achilles to round it out. Let me know what you guys think. Maybe if you don't see it working then maybe another suggestion but I really would like to have the Achilles. I just don't want the regular yellow tang. Nothing wrong with them I actually like them a lot. I just feel I have put a lot of time and money into my tank and would like something to really make it a little different and special

DaveK

An achilles tang is one of the tangs is usually considered one of the more difficult tangs to keep. They are fast active swimmers. I'd say you tank is a minimum size for the fish, since it's 6 feet long. Of course a larger tank would be better, but at least your not trying to jam it into a small tank.

You do want the aquascape done so the fish has as much running room as possible. I would also recommend you quarantine the fish before you add it to the diaplay tank. Tangs are notorious "ich magnets".

Talon33

Yeah I know I am borderline here with the tank size but I feel as I am being reasonable though too. My tank also has a pretty good amount of flow as well which would help. And yes absolutely to the QT.

What about this though. I still want to add a wrasse and a small group of anthias to the tank. Would this be a problem if the achilles is already in the tank? I can wait for one for a bit but I rarely see them around here and especially like the one they have now so I was thinking I may snatch him up if it would be ok

DaveK

I don't think the tang would be interested in the other fish you plan.

Think twice about the anthias though. They do have a very demanding feeding schedule. Make sure you can keep up with it, even if your away.

Talon33

Awesome, I am still undecided as the timing is inconvenient and I do not want to try to rush anything along but we will see. I will figure it out

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If pass on the anthias too. To answer your question, I think the Achilles is a candidate but I wouldn't add fish after you add him cause of the possibility of ich