acan corals

bonita

please tell me how the acan corals grow or spread. do they spread over the rocks or do they make their own calcium plate. i have a acan frag that has flled its growing disk will it spread or what

seafansar

I believe it will make a skeleton on it's own and grow into a ball if left on the sand and grow outward on a rock. I'd assume it's easier for the coral to grow on a rock than sand. But I dunno from experience, cause most of my acans died before growing that much in a recent tank crash.

What kind of growth rate do you get? Mine put out a bunch of new little heads, but not much skeletal growth (easy to see when they're dead :( ).

funkpolice

the skeleton grows pretty slow, so as stated above, if you leave them on the sand be they will grow into kind of a ball shape. As the skeleton gets bigger, the pollyps will get bigger and multiply. It's makes for a nice looking colony that is very difficult to frag. If you put them on a rock they will spread quickly without building much skeleton at all.
bill

the skeleton grows pretty slow, so as stated above, if you leave them on the sand be they will grow into kind of a ball shape. As the skeleton gets bigger, the pollyps will get bigger and multiply. It's makes for a nice looking colony that is very difficult to frag. If you put them on a rock they will spread quickly without building much skeleton at all.
bill

If it is a flatter rock, growth rate even more and they also will look really cool!

Here are some examples..... I know everyone likes pictures.

Red_Acan.jpg

2775332720089596439PyEJpf_fs.jpg

AcanTankAug2.jpg

Enjoy.