about led lights

hey i have a 155 gallon aquarium and want are the best led strip lights out to buy right now?

i have 3 250 watt halide

i just want to get more coloration in my corals

DaveK

If color is your only goal, I would add T5 atinics to you existing lighting, and possibly consider changing the existing MH bulbs to a different color temp.

If your talking about replaceing the entire lighting fixture because you want the other advantages of LED lighting, there are several possible choices. Since I've not used them all, I would not want to recommend any specific brand. All to often people recomend the brand they bought, and they have no experience with other brands. Also, many times people will say something like "I got the Acme SuperDuper one and it works great". Obviously this doen't convey any actual information that lets you decide what you should get.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
DaveK said:
If color is your only goal, I would add T5 atinics to you existing lighting, and possibly consider changing the existing MH bulbs to a different color temp.

If your talking about replaceing the entire lighting fixture because you want the other advantages of LED lighting, there are several possible choices. Since I've not used them all, I would not want to recommend any specific brand. All to often people recomend the brand they bought, and they have no experience with other brands. Also, many times people will say something like "I got the Acme SuperDuper one and it works great". Obviously this doen't convey any actual information that lets you decide what you should get.

I hated the Acme SuperDuper... Cheap construction... Lol.

...."Fish" Happens!....

ChrisOaty

I hated the Acme SuperDuper... Cheap construction... Lol.

I second that. It's best to first determine the type (spectrum and intensity range) of light that your current and future corals would thrive best in. While my only experience with LEDs has been with Cree and Bridgelux, I've had success with both. What I can suggest is that you not be swayed by cheap prices and clever marketing by online brands you see from china. Always chose a quality diode that is rated 3 watts. As of right now Cree has all but cornered the 3w LED market in the high-end reef lighting game, but so far, I haven't noticed this as a bad thing. What I can tell you is to be careful of these "strips" as the vast majority of them are not 3 watts because this much power requires faster heat dissipation and sometimes active cooling. Bridgelux is a cheaper method of adding light to your tank than cree, but with a sacrifice in efficiency and intensity. Since these bridgelux aren't run at the 1000mA that the Crees are run at, I've noticed they run a bit cooler (again this is just my experience). Bridgelux does, however, sell a strip kit that includes everything you need to add a custom color to your tank at a very reasonable price. Here's the link: 24 LEDs Strip DIY Dimmable Kit. Worth inquiring about.