A Loogie on my donut?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
About a month ago I started getting serious about akc/calk levels, adjusting daily etc, within a week a dark spot appeared on this donut, I poked it with a stick because I thought a piece of rubble had fallen onto it, it was attached to the coral. at times it disappears under the fleshy part which is a much lighter color than the rest.Well tonight it popped out again and its 4 times bigger. Any guesses??

Last edited:

charlesr1958

Does it appear to be the tip of the coral's skeleton? Which being dark colored could be that its being colonized or grown upon by a cyanobacteria. The only thing that makes sense to me is that the coral is losing tissue at that point and exposing skeletal mass which is being grown upon by something else.

Chuck

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Does it appear to be the tip of the coral's skeleton? Which being dark colored could be that its being colonized or grown upon by a cyanobacteria. The only thing that makes sense to me is that the coral is losing tissue at that point and exposing skeletal mass which is being grown upon by something else.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, no tissue reduction at all, it feeds well and is 7 or 8 years old,Im hoping its laying an egg but cannot find much on how they reproduce, cynarnia lacrymalis.
Rhonda, salty donuts are no good lol

charlesr1958

It would not be an egg per se, but could be a tissue "bubble" which is a very common phenomenom (spelling?) Such bubbles are formed when the coral is either creating a daughter colony to drop or when forming a new "head". In the case of this species though, a new head would not be a possibility.

I guess I should first ask what it feels like? Is it hard or a soft bubble?

Chuck

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
its not a bubble its hard like a rock and seems to have a very slight green hue like the coral body

charlesr1958

Okay, then it has to be either the corals skeleton or it is another creature attached at that point.

From your photo, it looks like there might be a possible opening or growth on the top of that structure. Do you ever see anything sticking out of it, such as little antennae? A much closer, and in focus photo might be a big help as well.

Chuck

EagleEyes

Wow, ive seen anemones look like little black or brown dots and come back to be .. well an anemone. Weird how it goes under the skin though. Does it completely disappear? If an anemone attached itself on there it could become very small and appear to disappear. Hope its not a disease.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Well as you asked lol. The Loogie was quite hard, it was coming from the coral body thru the flesh, about a month ago it just disappeared! there is a lighter spot on the body like a mouth and basically its just as happy as ever:dunno:

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Thanks! its still a pale spot on the meat but no harm done, Ive never seen a more dramatic eater tho, it morphs into a very odd looking coral very fast, maybe Ill get some pics on the weekend

EagleEyes

That sounds like a great idea Sasquatch! Yours also seems like a one time deal since no other person here seems to have had the same kind of experience. So, maybe yours is an isolated incident.